Huge Map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Huge Map

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi All

Need some help please.
1500mm long by 700mm is one half of a map the two joined together make the full map. The map has been laminated on both sides the lamination is similar to the material used on a normal office laminator.

What adhesive should be used to bond the map to a backing board (Foam board)? The customer has tried evo stick but the map bubbled. Any ideas.
prospero

Re: Huge Map

Post by prospero »

One way you could try is with heavy-duty carpet tape.

This is usually in 2" wide rolls. Cover the board with strips of tape, leaving the release paper on.
Butt the strips as close as possible but try to avoid overlaps. Use a roller to bond the tape strips
firmly to the board.

Place the map on top and get it into the right place. Use bulldog clips or whatever to hold one end in place.
At the other end lift the map and peel on strip. Let the map drop and roller that section down. Once you do this
the map can't shift. Remove clips lift the map to allow peeling of one strip at a time. Roller it down as you go.
Doing it gradually gives you more control and you shouldn't drift off sideways. When you get over halfway you can
take 2-3 strips at a time, but don't rush it. If you take your time you won't see any join marks caused by the tape strips
and as this map is double-laminated it should be semi-rigid anyway. HD carpet tape is very sticky and it stays sticky.
I used this method on some velcro panels and even if I did sometimes lift the material when removing samples, the
material was easily stuck back down. I don't use these panels anymore and one of them is stored in my shed where the
chevrons are still stuck firmly and the tape is still very sticky. It must be nigh-on 30 years since first they were stuck.

If that don't work then I would like to know what will. :lol:

btw. I wouldn't use foamcore. 3mm hardboard would be better.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

DEEPJOY wrote:1500mm long by 700mm is one half of a map the two joined together make the full map.
So the full map is 1500 x1400?

I had one of these once, laminated both sides that is, but about the size of each of your pieces - "fortunately" I had read how to do it on TFG and that was to rough the back up with fine sandpaper, remove the dust with NAPTHA and then suitable adhesive

It was a total wreck and I've had two more since and the customers were told they would not be stuck down, they would not be perfectly flat when framed, one walked and I wanted the other one to as well. These days I'd just say No Thanks, don't need the aggro - have some drawing pins.

Stupid things - the two sides are different, you can stick the back down great but the front has other ideas - give a disclaimer or run is my advice.

Sounds like you have some adhesive residue to remove and the problems (bubbling) that it caused too.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Life would be so much easier if it was not already laminated. I bet some clever clod has talked the owner into getting it laminated, so that they could charge a fortune for doing it! The bubbling has been caused by the solvent in the Evostik. Don't ever use Evostik on a customers job again! Evostik is not reversible! Always use reversible methods, so that you can always undo anything which may go wrong and not have to explain why their job went wrong. It's not just your customers property at stake here, but also your reputation as a good framerand a safe pair of hands protecting your customers precious property.

You can't fix the bubbles, so don't make things worse by trying. My recommended course of action is to tape the two sections of the map together at the back and sandwich them between two sheets of glass. It's a very big map, so the thickness of the glass will be quite thick too. Hold the map section in place against gravity with double sided tape onto the rear piece of glass and fix a suitable piece of backing board into the back of the frame. Get it done, out of the door and out of your hair. Some jobs are not worth taking on! I think this was one of them.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Not your average framer wrote:Don't ever use Evostik on a customers job again! Evostik is not reversible! Always use reversible methods, so that you can always undo anything which may go wrong and not have to explain why their job went wrong. It's not just your customers property at stake here, but also your reputation as a good framerand a safe pair of hands protecting your customers precious property.
You've gone off on one there Mark for no reason!! :shock: Deepjoy didn't use Evostik... the customer did :lol:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Thanks everyone

This was for a framer who is not registered with the forum and he very much appreciates the feedback you have all give him. I do believe he is walking away from this one.

Deepjoy
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

David McCormack wrote:You've gone off on one there Mark for no reason!! :shock: Deepjoy didn't use Evostik... the customer did :lol:
Opps! :oops:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer