UV damage on art

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: UV damage on art

Post by Bill Henry »

Thanks, Les, I will follow up with those leads.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

No problems, I'd have done it, but so far under the hammer at the moment.
Sunday 0615 and I'm off for an early morning walk, then working for the rest of the day.
Ah well, I am up for a 2 week outback break in another 3 weeks, 3 days, and around 23 hours.

I am passing nearby to Sola Seal next week, if I have a chance will drop in and see them myself.
I've known the company for around 25 years, way back they used to install tinted and clear films for the company I worked for at the time.

I got to thinking about it all again, and am just convinced that these types of films won't break down (under normal conditions) or lose the UV block ability.
Now the installation, if done incorrectly, is another matter entirely.

I thought again also about laminated safety glass, where the interlayer blocks 99% UV.
I just can't see trillions of m2 of this glass installed worldwide, with the interlayer gradually breaking down to leave crappy looking window glass in homes and offices.
Monsanto, who make the interlatyers, simply couldn't supply something that could have such a massive ecenomic liability in future years.
In any case, I just emailed them asking about the interlayer in respect to uv light degradation (inquiring minds need to know).

When you get a reply Bill, let us know here if 3M shed some light on the UV stabilisation of their films over time.
They would be the best to ask re that.
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
jaybeele
Organisation: Freelance Writer
Interests: Art, Drawing, Visiting Galleries, Writing

Post by jaybeele »

Might be worth trying this type of UV window film - http://www.guardianwindowfilm.co.uk/com ... ndow-film/

Hope this helps