PFM November edition

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Jamesnkr

Re: PFM November edition

Post by Jamesnkr »

Lovely frame on p54/53 (you may not like it Robo...)

I made an experimental corner (must make a frame) with a 'carved dentil corner.' Can't carve, but I do have a Morso. Turn the moulding through 45 degrees so that the back is lying flat on the Morso table. Move the blades forward so they just touch the edge of the moulding (this is the top face of the moulding when it's made into a frame). Move them forward into the next notch and then make a cut.

A bit like this:
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (65.26 KiB) Viewed 14417 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't dislike the profile, just not sure about the finish - all depends what it goes around of course.

If you kept the cut-outs from that corner, stained the moulding, glued the unstained (or differently-stained, gilded, whatever) cut outs back in and then waxed it all ........... could be good! An inlaid frame, of course from the side there would be lots of 'V' s but then you could stain to match on the side .... or not.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This could also be an interesting idea to do to the middle moulding of a stacked combination of three mouldings. I'm not only thinking of just doing it for the corners of the frame, which would look really nice, but maybe even along the length of each side of the frame.

I don't know what you guys think, but I like to try new ideas out and make a sample frame, just to check out how new ideas are going to look. Maybe this idea is worth taking further to see if it ends up leading to something really interesting. What do you guys think?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You could cut the ridges with your new angle grinder :D
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I'm still trying to imagine what that might look like! :shock:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I am going to go with random, and I recon half of the high bits would likely get flipped off.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

A bit like the Somme, I think, IFGL!

I think, NYAF, this was loosely based on an idea you once put in the forum - and I think you proposed going all the way along the moulding. I thought that might be a heck of a job to get the measuring right for equal spacing of the cuts. Really like the idea of putting it in the middle of a stack though, particularly in the low/flat section of a cassetta frame. It'd be a 'how did you manage to do that' sort of thing.
Not your average framer

Well, some of the method side of it is fairly easy to do. Getting an equal depth with each shallow groove is very easy. All that's needed is a block that stands on top of the moulding that you are cutting the shallow grooves in. With the Morso blades positioned clear of the moulding you are going to cut the grooves into, you move the blades forward until the front of the blades contact the face of the block and then press the Morso pedal to make the cut.

Getting the spacing between the grooves is a more difficult problem and this would require some technique that is foolproof and not subject to being messed up by an possiblity of human error.

It would not be a good choice to rely up on setting the position of each groove using the Morso's measuring system as this still relies on a human being getting it right with each and every cut. Some sort of jig which indexes the position of each cut from the previous cut would solve this issue, but creating a jig that is completely accurate for each and every cut is far from easy.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

the depth of the groove can be set by the ratchet on the Morso then perhaps use a block between the fences and the moulding and spacing can be mark by a pencil and ruler, as you are only making the groove a few mm deep, you can just move the moulding along and hold by hand, no need for any jigs, KISS that's what I say :rock:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

I think that the ratchet on the Morso is probably too coarse for this, as the grooves need to be quite shallow. Also I'm thinking about having groups of two grooves together with a common spacing between the groups of grooves.

While I agree that you can mark out the spacing with a pencil and measuring tape, I think that it would be much less time consuming if there was some sort of way to do this with a jig and not having to mark out with a pencil is the first place.

if you are considering doing something like this, I don't think that you would be planning of doing this just once in a while. If this is not going to be something that makes sense to do, I think that it needs to have potential for some worthwhile volume, otherwise it's a lot of effort for little advantage.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Call me coarse, but I just used the ratchet. I guess I was lucky that it was the right depth, but if it isn't then try other bits of moulding/liners/blocks of wood etc. etc. behind the moulding until you are happy.

I think if you're going to produce moulding with equidistant lines the whole way down then you need a jig. Or to talk nicely to Norfolk. http://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopi ... olk#p68893

Otherwise, for a bit of gentle decoration in the corners, a pencil and a ruler. Making them not equidistant also makes getting the spacing right much easier.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Must get around to reading it (PFM November issue) when I get the time
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Jamesnkr wrote:Call me coarse, but I just used the ratchet. I guess I was lucky that it was the right depth, but if it isn't then try other bits of moulding/liners/blocks of wood etc. etc. behind the moulding until you are happy.

I think if you're going to produce moulding with equidistant lines the whole way down then you need a jig. Or to talk nicely to Norfolk. http://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopi ... olk#p68893

Otherwise, for a bit of gentle decoration in the corners, a pencil and a ruler. Making them not equidistant also makes getting the spacing right much easier.
Ello coarse