Custom Framing - Industry Status Quo (blog post)

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
TheFramerChris
Organisation: The Framer Chris - Blogger / Advocate
Interests: Framing, Education, Advocacy

Custom Framing - Industry Status Quo (blog post)

Post by TheFramerChris »

Everyday all we hear about is the status of affairs. It’s a constant inundation of the left blaming the right, the right blaming the left. The arts are getting budget cuts, the economy is taking hits, and it seems people are more polarized and extreme then ever in recent memory. There is so much to worry about in the current state of affairs with the world.

My latest blog post discusses the current industry status quo

http://theframerchris.kinja.com/custom- ... 1795643255
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Custom Framing - Industry Status Quo (blog post)

Post by JohnMcafee »

TheFramerChris

Have you noticed that this is a forum? You know, a medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas. However it looks like you are inviting us to go elsewhere in order to benefit from your wit and wisdom.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
TheFramerChris

Post by TheFramerChris »

The idea was to share a topic to discuss here on the forum. If you want to be so stringent and exclusionary then i'll gladly move onto more appreciated and welcoming forums.

My post discusses problems we're facing as framers and challenges people to be more proactive. My apologies. My goal is only to unify and share ideas and make us stronger as a community.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

I merely wish to point out that it perfectly OK for you to discuss framing issues right here on the premises, so to speak.

I believe that would give you a much better chance of engaging with fellow members, if that is your intention.

Why not get to know us, chat with us, share the common experience, entertain us, whatever. Let us know that your blog isn't the odious heap of pretentious braggadocio that so many are.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
TheFramerChris

Post by TheFramerChris »

Well here's what I'm about. I'm a framer and am passionate about what we do. And I'm genuinely concered about the state of affairs our industry is currently in right now. I'm a former Vice president of the local PPFA chapter in the Washington DC/Baltimore region of the US. I work hard to not only hone my craft but to find ways to advocate to make this trade better and stronger.

We are struggling and I have to ask the question if anyone is looking to when they leave this trade who and what are they leaving behind. Are framers happy with the way things are or do they wish they wouldve done more.

My post tries to challenge that the status quo is fine. And i thought posting in an "announcement" section of the forum was the place to share the the formal notification of that occurance. And expected discourse to occur following the article post here on the forum.

Perhaps I expected too much.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

John Mcafee,

Chris is an established framer and businessman who is quite aware of this forum. He is active on both of the North American forums as well as PPFA where he has served as an chapter officer. I think you may have mis-judged his intentions which he politely responded with a little more introduction. His blog was posted NOT to draw activity away from the FF but simply reference to read and then respond here...

I think he jumped in head first on this forum, because he felt comfortable....and that has everything to do with feeling welcomed. :-) For those that have read his blog posting, what do you think? If you've been framing longer than 10-15 years, have you seen an evaporating market and as he asks, is there something more pro-active that we can do to reach a larger crowd?

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: and as he asks, is there something more pro-active that we can do to reach a larger crowd?
Does he? It's an article with no point and no conclusion and certainly no ideas or help. If you are correct that that's what he's trying to ask, then he needs to ask it.

The question he actually asks is, "Are you and your business satisfied with the status quo or are you ready for something more?" And then he doesn't answer it.

I rather feel I wasted my time reading the article.
TheFramerChris

Post by TheFramerChris »

I am asking the question. If you are satisfied then by all means don't worry about it. But if you aren't then lets discuss what we can do for the big picture to change this.

However calling it a waste of time if others want to come together and share new ideas and try to make our industry better then you would be a part of the problem and certainly not a part of the solution.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

TheFramerChris wrote:I am asking the question.
What question? If you mean the question I quoted above, no you don't.

You have no introduction, no analysis and no conclusion! If you're trying to make a point, I suggest you get hold of a primer on writing undergraduate essays. As currently drafted it is an unfocused rant, and as such it is a complete waste of the reader's time.
TheFramerChris

Post by TheFramerChris »

Look I'm not trying to be a literary giant here. It's a blog post, not an undergraduate paper.

It's intention is to start and share in a conversation. The question is if you aren't satisfied with the status quo of our industry then what can we do about it? We need new ideas. So what is it? Who's willing to step up? Who's willing to engage this challenge? I thought some of that would've been understood from the tone.

If you're going to busy yourself with critiquing my writing capabilities then you'll have to excuse me as I'm not interested in that conversation. And I'm not claiming to be a great writer, or even a good writer. I'm just wanting to help start a change and push to better ourselves as an industry.

We have a lot of work to do and more important things to focus on.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If this thread is ever going to go anywhere, perhaps we should start discussing our industry's status quo and see how this thread shapes up. I don't know how things here in the UK compare with things over in the USA. However sometimes we don't understand each other none to well, because although we appear to speak the same language, it has been said that we are two nations separated by a common language.

In the meantime - welcome to our American friend.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Well said Mark, even if we speak the same language, there is a world of difference (mat goes on the floor to wipe your feet :giggle: ) US market is very different from the UK market, so our goals are not the same
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

As jamesknr says...the original blog post just doesn't say anything. It doesn't make a point that anyone can agree or disagree with.

You could infer the point that if you're business isn't working as it is then you need to try something different. Not really controversial, just common sense.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter