Truvue Conservation Clear

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Truvue Conservation Clear

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

At long last, Truvue glass is available in Northern Ireland / Ireland, albeit a wee tad awkward to get at, at present, as its 'collection only'

But dont fear, anyone that wants to purchase this: just to let those framers in Northern Ireland know. I am going to Dublin within the next few weeks, therefore and I am able to collect orders for Truvue Conservation Glass at £14.43 + VAT per 48' x 36' sheet (packs of 4 only)

Firstly you ring and pay Britannia Mounts for the quantity you want, and then let me know, as I am heading that way in any case, I will happily collect it as I am collecting my own pack. You can then collect it from me or if you are extra nice to me I will drop it off for you. (Sticky buns / coffee / donations for fuel all gratefully accepted)

I have already bbeen in touch with some people and so far there are approx. 4 or 5 framers in the loop, may as well make it a few more.

Let me know ASAP, I would like to go down before the holidays here, but theres no real rush, the second half of July would suit.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Steven - have you got a lorry - the packs are fairly heavy - four sheets interleaved the whole lot in a tight fitting corrugated cover - I wouldn’t want to transport many packs flat on top of one another - you could transport them upright but they then take quite a big space.

If you haven’t used truview before you should find cutting instructions inside the pack. The glass has a printed edge telling you which face is coated - you have to cut on the uncoated side. Coated side faces in towards media. The coating is fairly easily scratched.

Its expensive glass - when storing the off cut pieces wrap them carefully - and mark the wrapper with the coating side - once you have cut away from the edge its quite difficult to tell coated from non coated side without scoring it - coated side is difficult to cut.

Glass and Mirror have just introduced a waterwhite Uv filter glass - apparently its cheaper than Truvue - with Britannia taking over the importing of Truvue I suspect that the competition has just increased to market speciality glass - price cuts have already been announced and i am told that the more glass they sell the cheaper it will get. We had a thread some time ago about waterwhite glass - and the fact that it was very clear lowered the natural Uv filter effects of "normal" glass - Waterwight Uv filter glass should be the answer - Customers are always impressed by the clarity of waterwhite and I have never found the extra cost put customers off the purchase.

*Karl Smith from Glass and Mirror gave a very good talk on speciality glass at the Cotswold branch FATG meeting. Karl went to great lengths to explain a very complicated subject - We are now all speciality glass anoraks.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Truvue

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mark,

I got a transit and a cradle for the glass, so thankfully it will be carried upright. I think the amount of framers asking to have this, is enough as it stands...I am thinking of my poor auld van.

I have used it before, but the cost of getting it here was colossal and I wont be using that source again. Funnily enough when I used it for the first time, it came in a pack of 2, and all I found were labels, no instructions for cutting. I cut it as normal.....all I will say is, thankfully it split the right direction, and I was able to save the piece. hahahahaha I had decided to get 2 sheets, and use the extra for samples, etc. but I got fortunate and was able to use the whole lot for one customer.

Thanks for the tip.
Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre