Meet, Learn, Celebrate 11& 12 June 2011

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
stcstc

Re: Meet, Learn, Celebrate 11& 12 June 2011

Post by stcstc »

i disagree martin, the suppliers at the framers forum event had NO say in the running whats so ever

Another thing that worked very well for both suppliers and framers was the informal nature of the show

even though suppliers pay ( a relatively small amount) for a show like the framers forum show. it does not give them any real input into the show

in the case of spring fair, where it does cost a lot of money, the organisers are the ones taking all the money

the suppliers gain is by supporting shows like the framers forum event, in an informal, laid back way. after all most business is done through relationships with suppliers, and so the informal nature of building relationships, long term helps grow suppliers businesses
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes that may have been the case at the moment whilst it is in its infancy and the industry is willing to bank roll it, but if you want suppliers to continue spending there hard earned cash, then you are going to have to let them have a say in what they want, as they are after all CUSTOMERS and as the old adage goes the customer is always RIGHT.

If you don't provide them with an environment which is conducive to there needs they ain't going to return next year.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

exactly

i think most of the suppliers gained from the framers forum event

like i said its a new way of doing business, informal building relationships

lets face it how many of us as framers and printers and artists etc, when we get a good relationship with a supplier stick with them, even if they are even a little more expensive on price. I do for example

I buy quite a bit from a local supplier, even though i could save say 20cent on a sheet of mountboard by buyiong fromone of the big uk suppliers, but i have a good relationship with the local guys, which is worth more than the 20cent a sheet from a large company which its much harder to gain that realtionship with
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree with you having a good relationship with a customer is essential, however 20c to you may be no big deal but it may be to some one buying by the palette. Good relationships can be had with big organisations, I have a great relationship with Arqadia mainly because I have a good Rep, I get a visit from the sales manager and sales director every now and then who take time to listen to what I have to say. I have also spoken to Martin on many occasion at trade shows and I see that he even gives out his mobile number, which surely shows he wants to engage with his customers. The only thing I would say Martin is that I have not seen a Rep since about 2004.

I don't think that it is the informal nature that Martin was objecting to but the fact that you were implying that the suppliers should have no say in how it is run. They should.

When I said CUSTOMERS I was meaning the exhibitors, perhaps I didn't express my self properly.

If this new way of doing business works then great it will be a success but if it doesn't then it will adapted to satisfy those who are paying for the event (the exhibitors) or it will take a terminal dive like the spring fair.
Max Roberts
Organisation: Headrow Gallery, Leeds
Interests: Business, Music of all genres, art, aviation & travel

Post by Max Roberts »

Robo hit the nail on the head why events everywhere are relatively poorly attended. He mentions a "what's on" list for Saturday/Sunday and industry events don't even remotely feature.
Why people register and don't attend? I've no idea! Even if there was nothing on that day, there is of course the chance that it might rain or the car might not start.
Martin summed things up well. We had a very good event. We were supported by most of the industry and it was a very good start. Could we have had more attendees..of course, but it was those who didn't attend who were the losers. The seminar programme was excellent and many of them were relatively well attended. The exhibitor and attendee feedback was really good and we will learn and build on it as did the excellent Forum event this year learn from the previous year. In the end this event was staged for you all, members and non members. It was then up to you all whether you wanted to take advantage of it.
Final point for now. We absolutely need the suppliers. No event would happen if it wasn't for the financial support from them. We all need each other in our industry and that goes for Framers Forum
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think it will take a number of years before any event will attain levels of attendance both exhibitors and visitors which would be profitable for exhibitors and viable for visitors, but if people don't attend and suppliers aren't enticed to exhibit then no show will survive. It is up to us to support such events and I will be going to one or other next year but probably not Spring Fair sadly.

I think with regards to a program of events and seminars this is very good as it means that a visitor can make more use of perhaps a smaller show.

With

It is a shame that spring fair was allowed to demise like it did. I would be surprised if we don't see one or two of the major players pulling out next year.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

max your right these event DO need the suppliers

and i never ment to infer that they dont

what i ment was that suppliers should be involved in the events, but a level playing field is created by the event being run by the framers, and not the agenda of any suppliers.

a bit like social media, where instead of just publishing all your special offers or trying to do in your face selling, use more subtle methods. it does work, i get around 90% of my business through social media, because of using this strategy

even on a pallette of mountboard, 20cent a sheet would only save 100 euros, thats nothing compared to what you gain in a good relationship, and over the space of jobs a pallette of mountboard would be used on its even less
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

stcstc wrote:even on a pallette of mountboard, 20cent a sheet would only save 100 euros, thats nothing compared to what you gain in a good relationship, and over the space of jobs a pallette of mountboard would be used on its even less
Depends on how many you use a year? if you use one a month then that 1200 euro's better of in my pocket than in theirs especially if it only takes a phone call to organise.
Max Roberts

Post by Max Roberts »

stcstc, points taken.
Our framing competition this year was really inspiring David Wilkie and Lynn Hall were winners and worthy winners, but the overall standard was fantastic. Really hard to choose between them. It's inspiring just to look at the ideas these people come up with. All a credit to our industry and it was certainly no fix that all finalists were GCFs which just shows that the cream does rise to the top!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

or doesnt bother entering :-)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Max, what criteria are used in judging? is there a set of guidelines with regards to judging or is it purely 'eye' and experience?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i wasnt even aware not fatg members could enter
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

I didn't attend partly because of the distance to travel but also because of the narrow window the show was open for. Only 2 and a half hours on the Saturday and 4 hours on the Sunday. As other people have said its also a busy time of year both for work (were open 7 days a week from May to October) and socially.
Having attended this award ceremony in the past I'm aware this event is a formal dinner, black tie et al, and I'm not sure conducive to a trade fair

I do believe the industry could do with a good trade show with seminars- Framers Forum Live seemed to me a good format to build from.
Its a less busy time of year, had a very relaxed atmosphere and had an excellent programme of seminars. I also believe that it was inexpensive for suppliers to attend, presumably because no one has to make a profit from running it.

How about a framing competition at FFl next year?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Max Roberts

Post by Max Roberts »

Judging criteria... There had to be a technical, aesthetic and creative value. The judging panel consisted of different but relevant skill sets. In the end though Alaister, the decision has to be subjective. It's certainly not a science.
The competition was I think open to non members (I can check up on that one).
Agreeing with stcstc. You don't enter, you can't win!. Re the black tie business. Not essential, but I understand the part about the hours of the event and we will be looking in to it seriously.
"Not condusive to a trade fair".... Well we didn't expect anyone to turn up to the trade fair in their dinner suit and ball gown!
Cost to exhibitors was by no means more expensive. The £3.50 charge made by the conference centre was very good value too and from the reaction we've had from the exhibitors, their are not many or any complaints.......so far.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Max Roberts wrote:Judging criteria... There had to be a technical, aesthetic and creative value. The judging panel consisted of different but relevant skill sets. In the end though Alaister, the decision has to be subjective. It's certainly not a science.
Thanks for that I thought it must be subjective but there are criteria for aesthetics ie proportions drops etc but I have never found anything written down that is why I was asking.

Thanks

Alistair
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

Max Roberts wrote: The £3.50 charge made by the conference centre was very good value too and from the reaction we've had from the exhibitors, their are not many or any complaints.......so far.
Just to clarify I was referring to the cost of exhibiting (for suppliers) not the cost of attending as a punter
Louise Hay
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Art, Framing, Glass blowing, Ceramics, Cooking (& eating!), Making stuff, Brixton Community Base

Post by Louise Hay »

The cost to exhibitors was a bit more than the FF fair but only a little.
Louise Hay, CEO Fine Art Trade Guild
louise@fineart.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

A dam sight cheaper than spring fair all you need is a few more framers and gallery owners and we will have a proper trade show again. Well done.
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

To succeed as a show I would have thought the cost needs to be relative to the business/ leads received by the exhibitors
Louise Hay
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Art, Framing, Glass blowing, Ceramics, Cooking (& eating!), Making stuff, Brixton Community Base

Post by Louise Hay »

You're quite right, and as this was an unknown entity we priced acccordingly.

Exhibitors have indicated that they'll show with us again; we'll make some tweaks to the event next year based on feedback and see if we can't bring in more visitors. If it's successful, then in time we can look again at our pricing.
Louise Hay, CEO Fine Art Trade Guild
louise@fineart.co.uk