VALIANI- New Software unveiling - Spring Fair

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

VALIANI- New Software unveiling - Spring Fair

Post by Merlin »

Valiani New Software
Valiani New Software
ValianiDS.jpg (624.96 KiB) Viewed 11881 times
John GCF
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Re: VALIANI- New Software unveiling - Spring Fair

Post by birdman »

Looks like we might need a larger disk drive then? Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it John.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

The picture reminds me of this place!
1234.jpg
1234.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 11860 times
Clue - home of La La, Dipsy, Tinky Winky and Po!
stevebowen

Post by stevebowen »

Will it be released at the show or is this a demo?
When can we get our hands on a copy? :D

I have just taken on a new girl and will wait for the update before training her up on the Valiani as i'm guessing it will look completely different?

Many thanks
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

This is just an unveiling, so that customers and prospective customers can get a 'preview'.
It is being unveiled at WCAF first.

This is a complete redesign and coding rewrite, so you will see a lot of changes.
At the moment the intention is to start doing 'roll outs' sometime in April. However, this all depends on the 'feed back' that is received from both the unveiling sessions and if any corrections or additions are to be made.
John GCF
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Have you seen it yourself yet John and if so does it have the wow factor that we all want?
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I am one of the Beta Testers Rolf, so Yes, I have had a long play with it.

It is a completely different beast to FMD as we know it at present and is certainly a huge leap forward.
John GCF
stevebowen

Post by stevebowen »

Any news on a release date for this?

Many thanks
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

When I bought my val I didn't have any computers at the shop at all so I bought a new one to be val-dedicated, and it still is.

It came with windows Vista though - which will run this new software, but it wouldn't run the old software - Future Mat Designer. So I had to downgrade the OS to windows XP.

If and when I get the new software I'll have to buy a new OS too.

Yours truly, frustrated, Angmering.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Robo, why are you frustrated.

Support for WIN XP will end in April 2014, so you still have 22 months to save your pennies for a new OS.

FMD will run on all versions of Windows OS.
John GCF
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

robo

things have to move forward with technolgy else we would all still be using bbc micro computers connected to a naff telly

the cost is so small and win 7 is sooooooo much more stable, quicker etc
markw

Post by markw »

Ime using FMD 4.9 on Windows 7 (32bit). Not sure if Vista was substantially different to all that followed - or if you are on the same version of FMD - but I would have thought that you should expect to upgrade os to keep up with new software that might need aspects of the current os. It is a tad frustrating though that software wont work with some os's. I try not to load anything on the 64bit version of windows 7 - Its a real pig.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

my main machine is win 7 64

i run alsort on it

it runs from 128gig ssd and zips along, massive diff from xp
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

When is the release date for this new software, I was told May at the Spring Fair, but not heard anything yet
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
markw

Post by markw »

Yes - they do seem to have been a little optimistic on the release date. They have a number of ways to keep us informed - here - facebook - through the support group etc. An update would be good - I think we all understand that its a new build software and that they need to do lots of beta testing - but its always good to keep the end users informed.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

About three weeks ago I asked someone in the Valiani support group why they had not upgraded to the new sw which was imminent at the Spring Fair and “would blow people away” The answer I was given said nothing about any delays.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

I love owning the Valiani and think it's probably the best choice if you are tech-savvy, can use Coreldraw/similar, and do much bespoke but maybe Robo is a little frustrated that FMD will now work on Vista, but too late for him.

Also he recently bought a Valiani when the marketing boasted that all software came with free upgrades. Instead they decided to rename the software, and not give the upgrade for free - £500 instead. That's a little frustrating but many would probably by now pay it if it was a vast improvement and you can half see their argument. If for example it spaced text properly all by itself, parts were not in Italian, mat optimisation worked with mixed sizes and on internals and not always in the top right (wasting 10cm of Arqadia Jumbo) and you got more than 4 useable fonts in the program, you can preview shapes without opening them, etc. Lately mine is not in aspect on the monitor (square mats don't appear square) no matter what resolution I have on the laptop.

We have 7 computers on a mix of XP and vista 64 bit, but have the windows 7 upgrade discs for 3. Had it for maybe 2 years but scared things like accounts programs, networks, FMD etc will not switch. One brave day we may do the upgrade - when not busy and plenty of cash to splash in an emergency.

Most have 4 gig RAM and we have very few hitches so don't want to rock the boat, yet.

Maybe there should be some kind of wager running on who will finish first - Valiani Software or Simons new website. My money on Valiani I think. The UK support team are great anyway and sure will push them to do their best.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

JamesC wrote:Also he recently bought a Valiani when the marketing boasted that all software came with free upgrades.
Unfair JamesC. This was explained to you at the Advanced Course you attended in Lincoln. To explain to others:
If you as a Valiani user want to upgrade from FMD V4.X.X to another FMD version, then as long as your control box motherboard can take the upgrade, then you will be given it FOC. However, there is very little change to you as the operator between FMD V4.5.2 and FMD V5.0.0, so that is why it has not taken any priority.
JamesC wrote: Instead they decided to rename the software, and not give the upgrade for free - £500 instead.
V-Studio is not just a rename. It is a complete rewrite from the bottom up, using a completely different coding language. This does not come cheap. I am also sure that you are aware R & D is not cheap either.
When you changed from WIN XP to WIN VISTA or a later version of WINDOWS OS - was that free. The answer there is No.
That is the same with ADOBE and the same with COREL. Why should Valiani be any different?

V-Studio is a vast improvement from FMD. Just one example that you mentioned - Useable Fonts. Whatever Font that you currently have in your C:/Windows/Font folder is useable in V-Studio. Either as a cut, as an emboss or as a pen line.

The aspect on your monitor is not a Valiani software issue. I suspect it is your setup.
FMD will work on all WINDOWS OS. If you want help then the VSG will help on that issue.

Thank you for your kind words about the VSG. We are working hard on your behalf. I am currently BETA testing V-Studio (yes, still testing), it is about 98% there.
I am sure that any end user wants a software package that has been fully tested, across all platforms. Valiani, also have to make sure that all the distributors are fully trained in the new software before complete 'roll out'.

Yes, we have been a little delayed, but we are getting there.
John GCF
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Merlin wrote:[V-Studio is a vast improvement from FMD. Just one example that you mentioned - Useable Fonts. Whatever Font that you currently have in your C:/Windows/Font folder is useable in V-Studio. Either as a cut, as an emboss or as a pen line.
That is true but you have to do layout in Corel Draw, export as plt then import to FMD. I think James may have meant fonts in the toolbox.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

In the new software fonts can be used without messing with corel draw is the point being made. like windows or mac updates are free, new software has to be paid for just like when a new os is released.