Union Jack from Afghanistan

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
pmdavies33
Organisation: Self
Interests: Framing

Union Jack from Afghanistan

Post by pmdavies33 »

Due to my location and current employment my framing work is predominantly military, much of which is standard fayre. Occasionally I am fortunate enough to be trusted to frame pieces that are unique and very personal. This Union Jack was flown over Camp Bastion in Afghanistan and is a present for my customers daughter to thank her for her unwavering support over many years of his service!

After much trial and error I finally came up with this. The Union Jack was difficult to present as it had to be displayed like the American Stars and Stripes (Project No 2). In the end I chose the portion on display, 'tagged' the flag to a square foamcore insert and layered the other apertures so that the flag can remain folded behind and out of sight.

Unfortunately I don't have the sufficient skill to double mount the triangle aperture using my Logan 750!!
Wild1.JPG
Wild1.JPG (33.52 KiB) Viewed 13101 times
Glimpse

Re: Union Jack from Afghanistan

Post by Glimpse »

Very tastefully done! :clap:
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Question: Is it a Union Jack?
pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

It is as far as the Royal Air Force is concerned!
Wild21.JPG
Wild21.JPG (73.91 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.
John GCF
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Pedants everywhere will blush upon reading that! :lol:
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Thanks for that John, as not a services type these things you have to learn from those that are.

Ian

:oops:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

isnt there a published way in which it should be displayed in various configurations

one of which is triangle folded
pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

If anyone does know I would be interested for future reference. There is a recognised way to fold the Stars and Stripes to display in a triangle but I could not find one for the Union Jack. After a lot of trial and error this was the chosen as the best way. Due to the size of the flag the options were very limited.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I like the layout, very nice.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

There's two ways of folding in that link, on page 4 for hoisting folded and on page 6 the ROYAL NAVY method for folding a flag that has been draped over a coffin.

So, for display there is no 'correct' way to fold unless it was a flag that draped a coffin of a member of the RN , but what I would say is that it's a shame to not show the whole thing - I don't mean the whole flag, I mean the whole folded thing, so that you can see it is a complete flag, rather than use a sink mount.
pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

I totally agree that Roboframer. In an ideal world, where space and financial constraints would not be an issue, displaying the whole flag would be the optimal choice. Consideration would also then have to be given to layout and balance for the additional items that needed to be included but it would allow for the whole flag to be seen.

I love the fact that there are so many opinions and thoughts on this subject. I have a RAF Ensign and Stars and Stripes to mount in a similar vein and I am looking forward to the reaction to these!
pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

As promised in my earlier post.
USA1.JPG
USA1.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 12861 times
iamzero
Organisation: From home
Interests: Art and music.

Post by iamzero »

Very nicely done dude, agreed with a previous post in as much it would be nice to see the whole folded flag exposed in a deep box frame to see how that would look.