Home for Heroes

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Home for Heroes

Post by Fruitini »

With a good friend being a big collector and fan of Marvel and super heroes, I (with the help of his housemate) took his collection of genuine Legomen hostage, added a few new additions and made a home for them all. Following the crazy dash to Christmas Eve, and subsequent standard Framer Xmas lurgy, I thought I would get back into work mode for 2014 by rekindling my youth and have a day playing with Lego.
Lego baseplates were located and cut 6 nipples deep by their full 32x wide accommodating 8 regular sized men. Each of the 4 MDF chamber would also have its ceilings lined, with the left over bits cut one nipple wide as a shelf front.
The chambers were joined using woodglue and panel pins and then separated with glued MDF spacers and held in place all the way round with some licky sticky brown tape.
The now 7 chamber walls were lined with Black black core mount board, and any visible uncovered MDF was stained black. I made a lid out of Frinton deep rebate flat black 4014 and fixed the glass in with a small painted baton.
The background image was found online and photoshopped to fit, printed and dry mounted to the MDF back - held together with more glue and panel pins. The figures are arranged in most probably completely the wrong order - but as the front will lift off he can rearrange as he pleases, or replace his fallen heroes. No adhesive used on the fellas - no need!
Pretty chuffed with the final result so thought i'd share here.

Happy New Year all. Back to proper work tomorrow :lol:
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Home for Heroes

Post by JohnMcafee »

Looks the business, Fruitini.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Some really cool ideas used there! Love to see that, instead of the standard stuff. I like the finished piece a lot :clap: :clap: :D what holds the 'cover' in place btw?
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

Thanks for the comments :) The frame is fixed to the chamber tray with 2 small brass mirror plates bent at right-angles on the top and bottom. Its a pretty tight fit so only really needed for safety sake. It takes a good wiggle to separate the two. Gave the gift today - he was gobsmacked. :) I want one now!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

:clap:
That is excellent. Looks like a lot of work but definitely stands out from normal framing.
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Post by muffinski »

Great job! looks excellent!
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

Post by topcat »

Super! Looks brill.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

This is wonderful. You could market this as a birthday gift for maybe young adults to people in their 50s who would really remember this type of thing being big. Perfect reminder of childhood.