Masking Tape Abomination

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Graysalchemy

Masking Tape Abomination

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have probably done some shocking things in my time but none as bad as this.

A 1966 quarter final world cup ticket.

I carefully cut it back leaving about 1mm of tape protruding. Then I remounted using mylar corners onto a backboard hinged to the mount. I obviously had to leave the tape on the back of the ticket.

This wasn't much better

2000 Manchester United program signed by Roy Keene.

Again I removed it from its mount leaving the tape in place (I am not a conservator and could more damage than good) then I made a cut out 1mm bigger than the program in 3200m mount board with a abcking to hold the program in and a mount with a 2mm overlap all round hinged over the top.

At least my framing hasn't further damaged the articles. :D :D
prospero

Re: Masking Tape Abomination

Post by prospero »

I can only imagine the difference in value between that ticket and one that hasn't been mutilated. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Looks like the results of "framers on horseback"! Used to be lots of those around at one time.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

They are one and the same Prospero a front and back shot. They were only brought in for reframing because of water damage.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yeah I meant if there were two tickets - one un-gunged and that one. The un-gunged example would be worth a fair old wedge and that one probably is worth SFA. To a serious collector anyway and they are the ones who will pay the big bucks.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Sorry mis read you. I agree it is probably worth SFA now. It maddens me to think that the person who put it in the mount should have realised that it had a value and by doing what they have they have ruined it.
iamzero
Organisation: From home
Interests: Art and music.

Post by iamzero »

I've used a product called Zest It to remove tape with great results, dissolves toheadhesive without damaging the paper.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

it smells good too!
prospero

Post by prospero »

iamzero wrote:I've used a product called Zest It to remove tape with great results, dissolves toheadhesive without damaging the paper.

Beware sweeping statements. What works fine on one thing won't necessarily work fine on everything.
Paper comes in many forms and conditions.
iamzero
Organisation: From home
Interests: Art and music.

Post by iamzero »

Agreed dude but I'm sure people on here aren't foolish enough to go throwing Zest It all over the place with testing a small area first? And yes it's smells great... I degrease the stainless steel oven extractor with it too.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I am not a conservator and have no intention to be one so for me its damage limitation, frame it back in a non invasive conservation way and inform the customer of the problems of the previous framing. If they want some conservation doing then they can take it to a conservator. :D