Off white?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Geoff

Re: Off white?

Post by Geoff »

My French mount type.
Attachments
french mount.jpg
french mount.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 17561 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

IFGL wrote:now you have a much fairer view of the 2, I used the picture from your one and it is unaltered.
My glass size is larger than the publishers - shows smaller in your photo. Publisher 48x54cm - mine 51x57.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I had put on a larger mount, tried to get the image size on both the same, we were very busy today so I just quickly approximated everything, do you see how the picture in the dark frame looks duller?, they are the exact same image no alterations, the light mount makes the black and the blue look richer, this is the exact same argument I had with the fella who changed my mind on this subject, he lived directly across the road from my shop and came in every day, we discussed this for at least six months before I saw the light.

By the way I really like the stippled edge to your mount, that is yet another technique I will be steeling off you :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

My eyes have to make adjustments with the white mount - I know it's not just on screen because they do when I look at my own in the white frames - and they don't have the same stark contrast.

Stark, bland but worst of all - same old same old. IMHO naturally :D
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I think your monitor settings are too bright and or too contrasty, that is a very soft white not stark at all.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I really appreciate the subtile speckled effect on Robo's wrapped deep bevel and also the effect of the embossed lines on the mount. A really nice, understated effect that says it all. So classy!

Way to go, John!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

More .....

Both deep wrapped bevels are "Rave Red" from the artcare 'fresh pop' range -LOUD colours! Reversed the bevel on one, or was it black core? Can't remember but not too excited about the white bevel on the other one.
Shop_walls_004.JPG
Shop_walls_004.JPG (357.54 KiB) Viewed 17523 times
Here's two mount board caddies, there's a third now!
Shop_walls_005.JPG
Shop_walls_005.JPG (428.05 KiB) Viewed 17523 times
Three 6x4 ft sliding panels of mouldings the customers can get at, plus the 8x6 ft wall behind, plus about half as much again on the wall behind the counter that the customers can't get at.
Shop_walls_006.JPG
Shop_walls_006.JPG (438.88 KiB) Viewed 17523 times
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Not entirely sure what you are trying to prove there, you seem to have framed two red lines a green mount and above them two black squares, if any of these had pictures in then I didn't notice, as regards the choice of mat boards we also have the full complement of art care boards, arqadia and centrado boards, we also offer a choice of over four thousand mouldings, just because you offer a wide range dose not mean you will use it to it's potential.

As regards old hat or same old same old, there is nothing new about what you are doing dark coloured mounts have been used extensively through the 70's and 80's but things move on, like i said before this is how I framed things between 13 and 16 years ago, in what I see as my naive stage.

the only thing you have proved here is you still have a lot to learn with regards the subtleties of colour and what colours do to your eyes when placed next to each other.
I do not expect you to agree, it took me a good six months to come round, I too was totally convinced that I was right and lot's of other framers were simply taking the easy rout, but there is nothing easier than matching a mount to a colour in the picture and using that as the main colour.

When a customer asks for a coloured mount we visualise it for them, using the colour they asked for as a accent, when they say oh I meant it as the main colour, a click of a button puts them side by side on the screen it is almost never they choose the coloured mount, less than one in a thousand this is not an exaggeration, the only thing I have told my staff to say is "most pictures look better in a neutral mount, but we are happy to put on whatever you choose, here is how they look side by side" , when one does decide this is best the mount report goes through to our mount cutting operative, he always rings through to the shop and asks "is this mount right?"

and mark, de boss lines are a pretty standard thing to do here is one we produce on a regular basis, we own the copyright on the image and yes we sell them on to trade, and they are mounted this way for wider appeal, meaning they look better to the majority of people, otherwise Washington Green etc would use coloured mounts.

that said what you do obviously works for you so keep on trucking :)
Attachments
deboss lines yay.jpg
deboss lines yay.jpg (116.52 KiB) Viewed 17509 times
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Oh by the way Geoff I love that french mount, I will be investigating that technique, thanks for the info. :clap:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

it seems I am a big fat liar, we have a choice of 2011 mouldings no idea where I got over 4000 from.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Have to say my opinion is that both attempts at framing that limited edition are 'Off' period, and fully agree with both Geoff and IFGC's comments. Yes, the first one is far too...insipid, I suppose is the word, but the second suggests someone who has just recently got into hobby framing and neither the moulding nor mount harminize at all well with the piece. So, I'm afraid it's Bad & Ugly for me.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I know it's different - I'm different, I can do traditional - for traditional and non-traditional artwork but mostly I like to carry a contemporary/'different' theme through the mount/frame and whatever I or anyone else thinks, it sells, off my walls and to order when customers are shown the more traditional alternative(s)

Anyone can say what they like about anything I do - it's just some board with a hole in and 4 bits of wood, but there's no need to be insulting and condescending to the person that made it - especially pretty much anonymously.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

IFGL: if you have trouble with the french mount (my image uploaded), let me know and I'll explain the way I make them. I'm sure once you make and see the finished result, you will be making lots. As I have mentioned, they can be toned with thin watercolours to harmonise more with the art image required. The example I have uploaded has an agate line as you can see but it's not essential to have one...up to your own taste. Sometimes I will use two agate lines close together on some images. Experiment and you'll see how soft or stark you can make them. A contemporary approach that will harmonise with a wide diversity of art.

I agree with your comments incidentally re: the dark mounts, not my personal view but we all have different views on things like this and is good to talk about it. At the end of the day it's only an opinion regardless... though good to see what people do and I respect we all may differ greatly on things like this.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Sorry if you felt offended by any of my comments, I can get a bit carried away if my point is being ridiculed or ignored, I do respect you very much and have taken many a tip off you, maybe I should have left it at "I am not keen on the dark mounts" but then nobody would know why and nothing would have been leaned by anyone.

P.s thank you Geoff i will take you up on that offer.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Sorry, but please do accept my apologies - just my opinions on both frames and was not meant to be insulting in any way.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Administrator: may I enquire as to why the ‘other off white’ topic appears to have been removed? My suspicion is that this forum is managed by and targeted at the 4 F’s – ‘Friends of Factory Finished Frames’, which is F’ing not on quite honestly. What was wrong with the thread? Be a man and fully defend/explain why you have removed it.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I thought this was a forum for all framers no matter what field of framing work they operate in. Seems like a "reactive" attitude has been adopted to what should be, sensible debate. Points may differ, views will be different but isn't that precisely the point of any forum? I think Cuthbert is right once a select few feel threatened and out of their comfort zone, "reaction" takes over. Very sad and very disappointing. Like many, I have contributed many frames/posts on here and received many good responses as well as some not so, even privately. I have also had quite a bit of correspondence from other framers outside the forum and have given my time and advice to many. This is obviously NOT an open forum and perhaps the 4F's have had their way?
Talk and debate is better than any "reactive" move!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Fear Not. :roll:

It was moved to here
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

cuthbert wrote:Be a man and fully defend/explain why you have removed it.
Two posts in the thread were reported to the moderators and the thread was moved to the members only section as a precaution while advice was sought.

Sorry, but the reason(s) why a post has been reported, or who it was who reported a post are of course always strictly confidential and as such will never be disclosed.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer