Liming

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Liming

Post by muffinski »

Does anyone have any examples of a plain wood moulding that has been limed. I tried this for the first time and not sure if it is overlimed, it has a shabby chic look now and not sure if the wax should only be visable in the grain of the wood?
prospero

Re: Liming

Post by prospero »

You can do it as heavy or light as you like. Personally, I dislike liming wax. It's messy and hard work. Try white emulsion paint. If you dilute it well and 'slap it on all over', wipe off and leave to dry. Then polish it with clear wax.
For a proper shabby chic look, paint it on full strength and when it's dry sand it back to expose the wood in places. Then wax it. Beware using steel wool to apply the wax if you want to keep it white.

If you want it really shabby, blast the wet paint with a heat gun. It will bubble up. Let it dry and pop the bubbles. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Don't know what timber you have used, but best to use an open grain one, oak for example is excellent for this. Usually the effect is left in the grain though to be honest there are many variations of this. I would imagine you will be able to see many examples of this via the web which should be beneficial to you. On other open grain pale timbers, the timber itself could be stained and sealed to suit and a liming paste/wax/paint/gesso etc could be applied over this. Obeche timber is fine using this method.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Cheers for reply Pros some good ideas there.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Although there are no pictures, the liberon page has some good instructions on all types of finishing.
Here is their liming wax page http://www.liberon.co.uk/dyes/liming-wa ... MmfA%3D%3D
There are no rights or wrongs, have a play about with it and see what looks good.
Personally I love liming wax, I usually use it on obeche, give it one coat using a cloth, let it dry, then buff it using an old tshirt.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Although I use liming wax, it is not my favourite choice, but usually I prefer to create limed finishes with paint as it offers a greater variety of finishing options and it is both cheaper and considerably quicker to do.

I like to use an off white liming colour, such as Titanium buff light for an aged appearance, or alternatively to use a completely different colour to create other effects.

Not all paint types have the same thickness, or body, so it is worth experimenting with different paints to find what works best for you. Price and ease of availability in your local area may also be important factors.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

That's great thanks for the further responses.