How to mount and frame small family locket in openable frame

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
deepictureman
Organisation: Godmanchester Picture Framing
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

How to mount and frame small family locket in openable frame

Post by deepictureman »

Hi Gurus,

I've been asked to mount a family locket measuring 3.5 cm wide x 4.0cm tall, depicting a soldier in uniform, circa WW1, on one side and young child on the other within a (Lion 034) moulding and with 3cm wide mountboard margins (CM310 -Beige) all round. The client wants to be able to open the frame and turn the locket to see the child's image occasionally and I would appreciate any advice on what you've found works well? The locket has a non rotating closed ring at the top which needs to be taken into consideration if and when the locket needs to be turned to show the other side.

He has declined the double glass arrangement as he prefers to see the locket against his preferred mount board. Nylon cord and 'D' ring brackets at the back are also required.

I've tried to attach two images of the locket and mat with margins marked, and moulding on lower edge to give an idea of proportions but every time I attempt to add it, only the extreme last margin is shown with no details of the locket - any ideas?.

Thanks

Dave
Roboframer

Re: How to mount and frame small family locket in openable f

Post by Roboframer »

You can have turn buttons, spring clips etc so the back can be removed, a hinged front or a frame that slides over a box screwed to the wall (the hinged door frame would need to be screwed to the wall too).

Does this locket open and close? If so you could possibly make it stand slightly open with an insert mount made from acrylic, or even mount board - on a plinth which can be turned from outside the frame so no opening/removal is necessary. That would be flash!

As for the attachment problem, is the photo saved on your PC and you're using the upload attachment feature? I've never had a problem with that unless the file is too large, in which case it won't accept it and I just re-size it in paint and 'save as'

You could also put the photos on photobucket or something that you can post a link to.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Reminds me of a pocket watch I framed many(very many) years ago, guy wanted to be able to wind it occasionally. I can't remember all the details but I do remember getting hinges from a model makers shop, very small, also a very small latch of some sort, fairly sure they we're meant for a dolls house or similar.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

There's examples of a couple of slip-over frames here http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39&p=76257

prospero

Post by prospero »

How about making a background from scrunched up fabric. Velvet would be nice. Maybe use a thick piece of foamcore with a depression pushed into it to make a little 'nest' for the locket. You could incline the back a tad so that it stays in place when the frame is on the wall. A short piece of chain to hold the locket, formed in an inverted triangle would keep it in the middle, but allow it to be flipped at any time. The frame would have to be fixed to the wall.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You could also back it with a mirror.