WW Sweethearts cushion in Kensitas silk cig.cards

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

WW Sweethearts cushion in Kensitas silk cig.cards

Post by A3DFramer »

Got hauled out of retirement to make a case and frame this 2 sided sweethearts cushion made up from a complete set of the silk cigarette cards from Kensitas cigarettes, depicting all regimental insignia.

The client, a picture framer himself, who had commissioned me to do a number of subjects requiring glass cases, twisted my arm. This came after I had retired and was not so easy to do in a garden shed, having closed down a 3000 squ.ft workshop with tools and equipment collected over several decades.
sw.heart.cushion_A.JPG
sw.heart.cushion_A.JPG (372.1 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
sw.heart.cushion_B.JPG
sw.heart.cushion_B.JPG (218.4 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
The case was made from 4+mm laminated glass to give a protection from UV. The glass is off set so that the suspension points can be concealed behind the moulding, which is a half round cover in a light hardwood stained and french polished.

The supports under the cushion were positioned so that the suspension points would not be carrying all the weight on the top, a broad linen tape was threaded between silk outer cover and the inner lining of the cushion as additional weight bearing. However the cushion can be unhooked and removed from the cover from time to time to puff up the down.

The base was fully lined with baize as the display was intended to be placed on quality antique furniture.