First attempts!

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
walnutboy
Organisation: walnut73 ltd
Interests: photography, learning the guitar, caravanning

First attempts!

Post by walnutboy »

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post my first frming attempts on here and get a few of your expert opinions.
Don't have to be nice about them, just not nasty as I'm a sensitive soul! Honesty is much appreciated.
All done in my garage using a morso mitre cutter, Alpha 1m underpinner, and Keencut artist plus mountcutter.
Mothers day card
Mothers day card
2014-05-20 12.08.46.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5712 times
2014-05-20 12.08.59.jpg
2014-05-20 12.08.59.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 5712 times
Photo of my Gran and Grandad for my Mum
Photo of my Gran and Grandad for my Mum
2014-05-20 12.10.14.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5712 times
2014-05-20 12.10.44.jpg
2014-05-20 12.10.44.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 5712 times
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: First attempts!

Post by David McCormack »

Nice work Walnutboy :clap:

I like the design for the black & white of your Grandparents, works very well. Maybe on the gold frame there could be less space between the double mounts (same proportions as the grandparent frame which looks better) and a bit more weight to the bottom... but hey just being picky which is easy to do.

On the close up of the bevel corners on the gold frame I can see some torn face paper which is a sign of an undercut on your Keencut Artist. When you have an undercut like that you should slide a razor blade in to finish the cut off.... always gives a very clean finish to the corner this way. But better to calibrate your machine so no under or overcuts. :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'll echo David's comments on the proportions. Three areas nearly the same width. Not really considered good design. But the mount layers are the same colour which makes it not quite so bad....

Snags on the mount corners.....well I've seen a lot worse from people who should know better. :P A fine touch with mounts is to run an agate burnisher along the edge. When you cut a mount there is a little bit of the edge that gets kicked up by the blade. Not a big thing, but smoothing them down does make difference. You can also smooth down any other slight defects at the same time. :wink:

All in all, a vast improvement on my first efforts. :oops:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Agreed, if that's your first attempt then you're already over qualified to frame for most hotel rooms I've seen :D :clap:

Very impressive, and Prospero's tip on burnishing the edge can make a huge difference too - I'd try that out :)
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Great start. Well done.
Sean
walnutboy
Organisation: walnut73 ltd
Interests: photography, learning the guitar, caravanning

Post by walnutboy »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I've actually realised that the mount cutter stops were slightly out and have reset them so that no more furry bits in the corners.

Like the comment about the mount sizes also, taken on board!
Art_Framed
Organisation: Art Framed
Interests: Photography, flyfishing, most outdoor activities

Post by Art_Framed »

And the rest of us are always so perfect, well done. :clap: