Coming soon

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Coming soon

Post by Roboframer »

This, re-done!

The toggles were added last, the framer decided they would not be included; the customer said damn right they will be ... but the framer had already completed, so s/he hung the toggles above and right of the badge below, nice! We think the folds in the ribbons have been messed with, we have un-messed them.
The glass is optically coated and either Tru vue AR or Tru vue ultra vue (there was a Tru Vue sticker on the back) so it wouldn't have been a particularly cheap job.
scout stuff 1.jpg
scout stuff 1.jpg (176.48 KiB) Viewed 17457 times
Adhesive everywhere on the front - DS tape for the patches, sticky foam pads for the metal bits. They're not good, I don't care what anyone says.
scout stuff 2.jpg
scout stuff 2.jpg (194.78 KiB) Viewed 17457 times
True colours, shining through
scout stuff 3.jpg
scout stuff 3.jpg (171.81 KiB) Viewed 17457 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Coming soon

Post by StevenG »

Cool - you going to show a day in the life of a reframe? With 'behind the scenes' extras? I'm looking forward to seeing that :clap: :)
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Was this recently framed somewhere else and the customer unhappy?
scout stuff 1a.jpg
scout stuff 1a.jpg (354.01 KiB) Viewed 17418 times
from the evidence of this corner it must have been done by a relatively new or inexperienced framer, it looks like a 20mm box section black frame, pretty much the easiest frame to cut and join.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well s/he has a shop. There were stacked wedges in two corners but not the other two and all corners were nailed at the top as well.

Mounted now, photo sent to customer to make sure it's all where it should be. No title this time, that's going on the back.
Mounted.png
Mounted.png (4.44 MiB) Viewed 17377 times
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

if you were Japanese that would be lucky, don't know if it has any significance for the Welsh?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.5 KiB) Viewed 17365 times
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

4 fat ladies
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That went right over my head first time, was waiting for something else to load!

Roboframer wrote: No title this time, that's going on the back.
Customer has said she has been advised that she should put the name and from-to dates above or below everything (below then). Wonderful, won't get that back in the mount cutter now, but fear not, I have a cunning plan!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

IFGL wrote:Was this recently framed somewhere else and the customer unhappy?
Very recently and definitely somewhere else!

Customer was not happy with layout (which is why I'm confirming by email before cutting anything else) plus corners of patches curling up, those toggles not hanging naturally and the folds in the ribbons. Apparently the framer has been doing her tapestries "for years with no problem" but when she brings anything like this in, s/he tries to talk her out of it! :?
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I hope they got their money back, it is a poor job.

People do have some bazaar loyalties, it has taken us years to get some of our customers despite us clearly doing a better job, we have a customer at the moment who uses us for printing, and has even said our framing is superior to what they are currently getting (without being asked about it), but has a loyalty to their current framer

Some local framers send customers to us for printing, if they ask about framing we refuse and send them back to their own framer, so we suffer from the loyalty bug too.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Do your customers prefer the bazaar for their picture framing needs?

That's really bizarre. :)
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Can we have a pic of the back too please? Looks a lot better to me btw.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Okey Doke.
Attachments
scout stuff back.JPG
scout stuff back.JPG (191.83 KiB) Viewed 17170 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

All done.

I was thinking of putting the title inside a reverse-mitred mount slip but there wasn't enough space really, so I cut a small reverse bevelled aperture from black core board and stuck it to the fall out.

Simons Bret 16, foam board spacers, original glass reduced in size.
Attachments
scout stuff framed.jpg
scout stuff framed.jpg (237.16 KiB) Viewed 17118 times
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Although I do agree that yours looks neater and employs better methods, I'm not sure what the big problem is with the original one.
Okay it looks like the toggles have been an afterthought although it sounds like the customer changed her mind with you so maybe did that with the original framer. And the corner isn't very clever and I would have had to fix that, but I'm not sure that it merited a total reframe from another framer.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Roboframer wrote:Customer was not happy with layout, plus corners of patches curling up, those toggles not hanging naturally and the folds in the ribbons. Apparently the framer has been doing her tapestries "for years with no problem" but when she brings anything like this in, s/he tries to talk her out of it!
From what she's said I think if she took it back to remedy those things she would get grief, not get it back for a long time and probably still not be happy. Also it wasn't a case of a change of mind over the toggles, as I said earlier the framer made a decision off his/her own back to leave them out and framed everything else, then, instead of re-arranging, just hung them up and to the side to not cover the badge.

Anyway, mine is not to wonder why, I did what I was asked to do.
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Indeed, although if I was unhappy with a job I would not take it to someone else to correct at my own expense :o
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well this customer did, after resigning herself to the fact that she simply was not going to get what she wanted from this framer and probably not wanting to get in to reimbursement issues because she actually likes and will continue to use him/her for 'normal' stuff that doesn't matter.

Maybe I'll become her framer for other things that do.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Thank you.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.