water gilt schlagg leaf showing gilding lines

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Geoff

water gilt schlagg leaf showing gilding lines

Post by Geoff »

Just a quick example I finished to day showing how schlagg leaf can be water gilded just as gold leaf and showing gilding lines. The entire frame was gilded in the same manner and toned.
Attachments
water gilt schlagg leaf.JPG
water gilt schlagg leaf.JPG (151.58 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
standenfineart
Organisation: Private
Interests: Private

Re: water gilt schlagg leaf showing gilding lines

Post by standenfineart »

Very nice Geoff. I've never had great success with this. Do you put a size coat over the bole and/or add extra glue to the gilding water?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I use a size as such over the bole however the bole I use to which the schlagg leaf is adhered to is of a stronger strength. the gilders water contains just a very small amount of wundersize and when laying the schlagg I pull the leaf over the moulding...( unlike gilding with gold leaf)...with a gilders tip. Once dry you can actually burnish the schlagg with an agate gently which I have done on the image posted. this is muted a little on sealing the schalgg.

Hope this helps but one of those things you need to see the process.
standenfineart
Organisation: Private
Interests: Private

Post by standenfineart »

As ever, many thanks Geoff. I had half a thought that you may have added some gum ammoniac to the water but wundasize I would never have guessed.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Another lovely frame Geoff. Reminds me of a 'Watts' frame, although I think I'm right in saying they often had a gilded wood grain finish on the flat piece?
Is it painted gesso on the flat piece on your frame?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

There are a few different "gilders waters" I use but for schalagg leaf in particular...the one mentioned I use almost all of the time. I have also posted a Watts frame so you can see the difference and you are correct...oak was the preferred timber for the flat area of the frame. if you plan to gild oak there is no need for gesso of course... otherwise you would soon cover what is an important part of the frame effect i.e. it's grain.
Attachments
Watts frame.png
Watts frame.png (206.72 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

I did this frame a few years ago. It's actually 100% powder gilded. So all the leaf lines are pure fakes.
OK, it doesn't bear close comparison with a leafed finish but it doesn't look too nasty IMHO

btw. The 'painting' was photoshopped in for a framing puns thread. :roll: It really contained a superb oil of a lady in a green velvet dress.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Some of your chevrons on the wall behind look quite interesting too!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I agree prospero...it is a good frame finish and I don't know how true to life the colour of the frame is you posted but...a good shade. Would obviously transform it with the picture you mentioned inside.
prospero

Post by prospero »

That finish is not a typical one for me. It's very 'in your face'. 8) With powder gilding I find it's way that you apply it that gives lustre, combined with how shiny the base is. I use acrylic paint as a base which dries almost matt, but polishing with fine steel wool prior to gilding gives the gold an extra bit of shine.The powder is mixed with varnish and applied with a brush. I find that you can get a degree of burnish by going over a dried coat with a lightly loaded soft brush and a buff with a waxy duster when dry.
There is no toning on that frame. Usually I give it a wash with tinted white paint to a greater or lesser degree.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Interesting reading about how other people work and finish their frames. So many variations in achieving this and that