smart label

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
markw

smart label

Post by markw »

I confess - i like gadgets! but i am fairly disciplined in only using usefull items in my workshop. Like all framers I put a label on the back of my frames - I view tha label as a last ditch attempt at advertising - a means of keeping track of who the frame belongs to - especially if i have stored it for some time - a statement of my qualifications and the level of framing applied to the manufacture of the frame. Quite a lot to get on to a sticky label - along came the smart label printer - it prints one personalised label at a time - you set up your basic label formats - then personalise each individual label - customer name - job no - framing level - mine also have a FATG logo and commended framer logo. I even have seperate labels for artists - with my bit slighty in the background to their details - artist like this touch - they have gone to the trouble and expense of having the work proffesionaly framed - its nice to show the customer - added value. and if i am lucky the their customer will use me in future as well - more potential advertising.

There are a number of machines on the market - i use the Seiko SLP 200 this can print labels up to 54 x 189 mm. Dymo produce a similar machine - you can normally run a couple of printers from one computer - the seiko can be run from a usb port - printing is simply a matter of opening the label window - filling in the personal details and pressing print.

labels are relativly expensive - but the finished result is well worth the cost with the added benifit that repeat customers can quote the details from your label safe in the knowledge that they will get the frame they want.
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

Smart Label

Post by Underpinner »

Thanks for that info Mark. I was using a well-known brand of paper address labels, printed on my inkjet. However, despite the top brand name they were unreliable in that they didn't always remain stuck for long on the backing board (usually Corri-Cor but sometimes MDF). Have you had this sort of problem, and how have you solved it?
John Williams
markw

labels

Post by markw »

John
I use the Seiko labels - they are expensive but worth the cost - even on Corricor III they stay stuck - in fact I think they are the only thing I know of that actually stay stuck to Corricor III - but thats another posting. :lol:
Underpinner

Smart Label

Post by Underpinner »

Thanks Mark. I had not heard of Seiko labels or label printers until now but I will see what I can find out about them.
John Williams
Underpinner

Smart Label

Post by Underpinner »

Thanks Mark. I had not heard of Seiko labels or label printers until now but I will see what I can find out about them.

John.
John Williams
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Labels

Post by Merlin »

Hi Guys
Have also looked at various label printing machines and the cost of the labels that fit them..

We use DAYMARK LABELS at www.labelsandtags.com

If you go to the site click on the other labels tab.

Have used them for about two years now and have had no problem at all with the label sticking to CORRI COR III.

Cost is £35 + VAT for 1000

We have our own business image and font on the label. Which actually looked like a Frame

Includes the wording "For all your Framing requirements"
as the top line with the image on the left and the address etc down the middle.
Pale Blue background and Dark Blue text. The business colours.

It works for us
John GCF
angelman

labels

Post by angelman »

It is cheaper to print perfect tailor made labels, than having them made by in house by a machine. In Malta there is a reliable printer who can print neatly on very small board at a very good price. I have been using this method for twenty years now. It has been proved to withstand time, and insects. The only problem is that each label must be smeared with PVA glue. Contact me for further detail, samples, or other questions.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Having never physically seen one of these printers, I have the notion that the labels produced have the same (short) life expectancy as a thermal fax. Perhaps this is not a serious issue for a label which is placed on the back of a picture where the fading effect of light is much reduced.

Do any of the manufacturers make a plain paper model?

For the past 17 years my labels have been printed by http://www.stickylabels.com/ (though they were 'Vine Lodge' before the www). I have always found them to be reliable and very good value.

Welcome to the forum Angelman
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I use my business card with double sided acrylic permanent self adhesive tape…

Though…….the next time I have cards printed I will have the print run split and have half of my cards printed on “Crack Back” Fasson self adhesive material….ask your printer about it……I used to do this in another business life to label the sales brochures I used….it worked a treat….I don’t know why I did not do it the last time I had cards printed…..perhaps old age……then again I’m not so sure about that……seeing as I’m still trying to make my mind up about what I want to be when I grow up…. :roll: