Poppy Display Cases

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
DreamKeepers
Organisation: Dream Keepers Ltd
Interests: Display Products
Acrylics
3D Display

Poppy Display Cases

Post by DreamKeepers »

Barry & Mike
Dream Keepers Display Products
(Cases, Acrylics, Plaques, Accessories etc.)
http://www.dreamkeepers.co.uk
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Poppy Display Cases

Post by David McCormack »

Out of these three, I prefer the example with the photo as a background, it puts the ceramic poppy in context :clap:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I don't personally think these are a nice way to display poppies, they look bland, sterile and a bit cheap.
I much prefer the examples framed in quality wood box mouldings with nicely cut mounts. To each their own I suppose...
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You could always add a frame, front or back ...... or a plinth from frame moulding.
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I think they need something... I appreciate that they're a well-made thing, but the overall effect is of something still in its packaging.
Well-made box frames really add something to these objects whereas these don't look like something I'd want to display - it's a bit utilitarian, the simplest means to an end.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

My personal opinion is that these examples (and others I have seen) make the piece look like a piece of memorabilia and not as a piece of poignot art that it is.

I have nothing against display cases I have used them quite a lot in the past.
DreamKeepers
Acrylics
3D Display

Post by DreamKeepers »

I think it depends what people want - it's just an option that provides a 180 degree view.
Some of the framing I've seen (some on here) are absolutely outstanding, but it's horses for courses.
We've done some where we just provide the acrylic case with mounting holes and the framer mounts it on board then puts a proper frame around it. So you can combine great framing with a 180 deg 3D view
Barry & Mike
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I don't disagree that 180 deg looks very good. My objection is the inclusion of certificates and plates, IMHO they simply don't need it , it detracts from the poignancy of the piece.

Also IMHO they should be in the vertical plane as that is how the artist had intended them to be viewed, and also how as a nation we use the poppy as a sign of remembrance, new life coming out of the ground in the wake of the horror of Flanders fields, and not as a picked flowers laid in remembrance.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

Where the display cases are shown in the other topic, so that the comparison is more direct, the boxed display does not seem to have so much light on the leaves. This may be a factor that the customer is looking for. With only one source of style, putting an object that has so much of the poignancy of the early 20th century, it does seem out of place looking as if it should be in a re-make of star trek. This does limit the customers choice.

The styles offered by dreamkeepers are all based on basic case types that can be found in antique shop dating back from the 19th century. all of which can be made with the equipment carried by most framers and materials readily available to the framer.

There are 2 examples on the Framing Workshops in Bath website. Top left and bottom right of the page here;
http://www.theframingworkshop.com/page.php?section=6

One draw back of the L shape back and a 4 piece glass cover is that it can collect dust. This is less visible in the 3+3 format of back and cover. The 3 sided cover can be made on a flat surface and a flexible silicone joint, when cured simply fold into the cover. The back still can have the look of the appearance of the card box, just 3 sides.

Frame Workshops cases employ both a folding/hinge joint and an injection joint (using silicone), but the are many other alternatives a framer could use. All give the framers customers a better range of choices to suit their needs.

Other methods of case construction offer a variety of ways merging styles of frame into a decor product. I agree with Barry of dreamkeepers that the framer can look to methods of display that include 180 deg. and even 360 deg. display as well as good framing.
DreamKeepers
Acrylics
3D Display

Post by DreamKeepers »

Yes, I personally would not want to show certificates and would want it in vertical format, but we've just responded to what people have asked for.

The one I was really surprised at is the one below with dark wood base and green felt. I personally wasn't going to make that one available, but did it because a customer asked for it. It's been by far the most demanded one.

Barry & Mike
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

Horse for courses as we all agree!

Attached are some examples of my efforts: Have done ten so far! Will need to post twice as I cant seem to post more than one pic per post (?)
Attachments
poppy stem small.jpg
poppy stem small.jpg (69.29 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

and another.....
Attachments
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG (1021.06 KiB) Viewed 10711 times