Victorian Patent and Seal

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Victorian Patent and Seal

Post by kuduframes »

This one took a bit more thought than usual and I thought worth posting -
The whole patent had been kept folded and wrapped together with the wax seal in a waxed cloth bag. The seal was contained within a tin, padded with horse hair wadding and with a slot to allow access for the rope attaching the patent.
The layout was to customer's request - the top of the tin is shown bottom left, the bag and wadding is bottom right and the seal itself in the other half of the tin is bottom centre.
The patent was a two part offering and due to its age (dated 1865) was quite rigidly deformed by the folds, no attempt made to flatten it, it was framed as it was and supported within an extra thick mount board / foam board and polyester film capsule. The 2 part patent is 'stitched' together at the lower edge and conceals most of the back sheet which is shown prior to framing in a separate pic I couldn't quite figure out the logic behind this...
Frame is Lion L1983, glass spacers are made from mount board.
Victorian Patent and Seal.jpg
Victorian Patent and Seal.jpg (482.58 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
patent layout.jpg
patent layout.jpg (566.69 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
patent back page.jpg
patent back page.jpg (593.47 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Victorian Patent and Seal

Post by JohnMcafee »

Looking good Kuduframes, looks like an interesting job. Like you, I would have made no attempt to flatten the document. I'd have tried to persuade the customer to go wider on the mount, but I'm sure you did the same.

We are currently framing a bunch of software patents and in spite of costing an arm and a leg in legal fees to draft, they are pretty puny in comparison to this document.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)