Putting the boot in

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Putting the boot in

Post by Roboframer »

Well, booties!

Bought these in Madeira, just to frame up as a prop, they're pretty shapeless but that's fine.

The backing is plum velvet (we sell it) padded with 4 or 5 thicknesses of 2 oz polyester wadding (which we also sell) I tagged it in a small central circle to create a sunken centre and make the booties (they're a bit too delicate to be booties I suppose - slippers maybe?) look like they're sunken in - a 'pillow' effect. They are stitched in place, very delicately.

Rebate spacers are lined with a long-discontinued artcare board we still have stock of - matches the pattern.

Box is made from http://www.arqadia.co.uk/productdetails ... =204230267 and capped with a Simons moulding I don't have the ref of handy.

It's a bit twee but it'll bring work in.

Attachments
booties.jpg
booties.jpg (444.52 KiB) Viewed 9494 times
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Putting the boot in

Post by Not your average framer »

Mmmmm, I like that! I must admit that before I saw this I would not have natuarally thought of using the black moulding with the silver, but having seen it, I really like the result.

I love the more traditional silver mouldings with a nice bit of shape to them and for me that silver moulding is just perfect for that lovely pair of shoes. It would almost pass as an old family hairloom. Give it a few years to fade a little, soften and the frame to mellow and it would probably pass for something quite a bit older.

A great prop for inspiring the customers and as usual something to inspire the rest of us!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The moulding used for the box isn't black, Arqadia describe it as 'pewter' but it's actually a metallic blue/grey.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Looks good John, how have you joined the mouldings?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

They're glued together, it's not a big frame and there's plenty of contact area.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Metallic blue grey sounds nice. Your choice of the subject matter to frame is also spot on. I reckon that it's sure to attract plenty of attention.

I've had some nice props for at least a couple of years waiting for me to make a bridal keepsake box frame, so I must get on with that sometime. You know, something old, something new, something borrowed, etc.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just realised to take the photo I stood it on a customer's artwork - OK it's in a folder (a 'visifile'), but still!

I put it in the window and it's already won one job and a lot of interest.

What I'd really like to get hold of is a nice set of medals but they're not cheap, original or otherwise. I suppose I could frame my own .... well, some of them, wouldn't want to fill the whole window.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

I managed to get a set of WW2 medals on eBay for around 20 squid - admittedly it did take a while to findsome at a price I was prepared to pay (plus a new set of ribbons).

They are now framed and in the window and have resulted in quite a few medal jobs for us.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk