Simons Pine 26

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Simons Pine 26

Post by Not your average framer »

Simons Pine 26 has got to be one of the cheapest mouldings you can get, but the quality is consistently very good. From memory, I think it works out at about 17.5 pence per foot! Is that cheap, or what!

Well, I have trouble finding a really good range of useful coloured mouldings, originally I used to stock the Simons 0212 range, but after a while they weren't so popular as before and some of the colours got dropped. Over the years various other mouldings filled the gap, but I often got caught out with out of stock situations, etc.

Part of the trouble is that people want a much greater range of colours than you can normally get. So I've started a stock of match pot paints and now paint them myself. Also included in the picture below are some stained tulip mouldings too!

I like being different and having stock which my competitors ain't got. So far I've only just started and will be adding quite a few more colours too.

osgood

Post by osgood »

NYAF,

I like your colour range! Those mouldings look to be quite small (about 20mm wide, are they?)

Do you sell a lot of small mouldings? I sell a few, but not enough to make it worth painting any. Most small mouldings I sell are either silver, gold or walnut with a gold line.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

BTW, it's a lot quicker to do than some probably think. Most colours need two coats quickly brushed on. In general, the second coat sorts-out any thin areas in the first coat.

I paint them while I wait for the kettle to boil for tea and then get on with whatever I was doing before. When it's time for my next cup of tea, I do the next coat. Next tea time I wax it, and later give it a quick polish to give it a shine. Then I cut and join it. Eeeaaaasssyyy!

I probably have about 10 - 12 cups of tea each day, so I can do lots of little tasks while the kettle is waiting to boil.

Great mark-up too! :D
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Ooooooooooooh you just got me all inspired to do some experimenting now.

This fits in well with some of the things I'll be wanting to do - I've admired prospero's HF jobbies (yes, I know these are far from that sort of quality) - it just didn't occur to me until I saw all those chevrons that it would be an easy way to increase the range of mouldings on offer to the customer without vastly increasing my stock holdings.

When you say 'match pot paints' do you mean the sort available at all good DIY stores?
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

V Nice Mark - ever tried adding a mount slip (fillet) as a sight edge - the really tiny ones made by Albor - available from Arqadia, Nielsen and Mainline.

They cost more per foot than that moulding though!!!

Still - once finished what price per foot do you price them at?
Not your average framer

osgood wrote:NYAF,

I like your colour range! Those mouldings look to be quite small (about 20mm wide, are they?)

Do you sell a lot of small mouldings? I sell a few, but not enough to make it worth painting any. Most small mouldings I sell are either silver, gold or walnut with a gold line.
Hi Ormond,

The smallest, (the ribbed cushion ones), are probably about 16mm wide. They are the 17.5 pence a foot moulding. Thet sort of size ticks-over quite nicely in colour mouldings, they are particularly popular for framing prints brought back from holidays, but also cheap watercolours and small prints. I need to come up with more or the lighter pastel shades yet, but I'm working on it.

The two sizes of flat tulip wood mouldings are, 20mm wide at 40 pence per foot and 30mm wide at 47 pence per foot. Some of those are stained with wood stain, but the golden yellow and the beech colour are stained with match pot paints and very quickly and vigorously wiped right off again. I do particularly well with pale colour washed tulip, ash and obeche.

The 16mm moulding is great for a good mark-up. I haven't decided yet, but if I price it the same as the mouldings it is replacing my mark-up will be about 22 times. The other good thing is I only order the one stock item, but whichever colour they want I can always supply it from stock.
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:V Nice Mark - ever tried adding a mount slip?
Hi John,

Probably not on these, but I do so on other mouldings quite often!

I haven't decided on the price yet, but I'm doing a some other profiles in different finishes again and then I'll decide where I fit these into my price range. Small mouldings like these will not be offered as "Hand finished" as I want to make a big deal about my more expensive "Hand finished" ones.
Not your average framer

Spit wrote: When you say 'match pot paints' do you mean the sort available at all good DIY stores?
That's the ones! Bear in mind that the colours on the label or in the brochure, are rarely exactly what you get.

Match pot prices vary from one supplier to another, so it's worth checking!

Choosing colours is a bit of a learning curve, I've got over a hundred such match pots as I've been doing this for years, some were a bit disappointing.

Don't forget that you can paint the inner mount of a double mount to match the frame too!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I used to do ranges like these - mostly from Liberon stains though - water and spirit based - Colron too.

Now it's strictly woodtones and staining waxes - liming wax too, or a combination.

Each moulding sample has a 'recipe' code on the back - e.g. BMW/L = Liberon's 'Blue Moods' wax - and then limed.

Try that one - blue wax rubbed in hard, with a rag, excess removed quickly and then liming wax rubbed in immediately - excess removed again. Leave one hour and buff - great on ash - esp Simons Ash 8 and 11.

I love my ash!
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:I used to do ranges like these - mostly from Liberon stains though - water and spirit based - Colron too.

Now it's strictly woodtones and staining waxes - liming wax too, or a combination.

Each moulding sample has a 'recipe' code on the back - e.g. BMW/L = Liberon's 'Blue Moods' wax - and then limed.

Try that one - blue wax rubbed in hard, with a rag, excess removed quickly and then liming wax rubbed in immediately - excess removed again. Leave one hour and buff - great on ash - esp Simons Ash 8 and 11.

I love my ash!
Hi John,

I can say ditto to all that. BTW, Liberon do a Terracotta liming wax, but I can't seem to get any from anywhere these days and I've been wanting to try it.

Have you tried pale colour washing obeche and then waxing it with a coloured wax. Favourite colours are Antique Pine, Verdigris, Stripped Pine (It's grey, don't ask me why), or Liberon Gilt creams?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't like obeche - wet it and it raises the grain - I know there are ways around that but I can't be bothered.

As for Terracotta wax - I've got it - Euro Mouldings used to do it - not sure if Lion do. But anyway - you'll have a Brewers Somewhere near you and they can get any Liberon Product you like to order - that's where I get my BMW from!
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:I don't like obeche - wet it and it raises the grain
Hi John,

If you put the paint on straight from the tin or pot and rub it straight off it doesn't raise the grain, but the paint seals the surface. So the wax gets into the little flecks in the grain which show through the paint, but one the rest of the wood the wax leaves no colour at all. Looks nice!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I just don't like it anyway - not bare - it's great for a gesso base and also for veneers and as long as it comes finished that's fine.

Did you know that Obeche is a hardwood?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Years ago I used to spray small black cushion moulding with aerosol paints (the car stuff) to save stocking a lot of colours. No primer needed, just make sure there are no greasy patches on the moulding and it grabs onto the compo well.
It gives a really nice effect, particually the metalics. It's best done after joining the frame. Gently smooth off the corners and fill gaps (if any) with polyfilla. Generally one coat will do the trick. A big can of spray goes a long way. If you want to do a lot you can always get a small spraygun (or a big airbrush) and buy the paint in tins.
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote: Did you know that Obeche is a hardwood?
Hi John,

Yes, that's the difference between a botanical classification and the practical realities. So much for the experts on such things.
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:As for Terracotta wax - I've got it
Hi John,

I found out today from Liberon's help line, that both the Terracotta and the Blue Moods wax are no longer available and were discontinued more than a year ago. Which is a PITA, because I was looking forward to trying them.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've got both from Brewers in the last 6 months - they had to order it in from Liberon so they must have still had stock left - I'll see if there is any more - if so I'll buy a wad - goes a long way!

Thanks for the heads up!
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:I'll see if there is any more
Can you let me know if there is any more?
Thanks.
Not your average framer

BTW, John,

Have you tried Verdigris wax over black stained ash. I tried it last night and it looks Nice! :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I just emailed Brewers and yes, I did a one off for someone in black with verdigris over the top on Simons Ash 11 (another favourite) Green highlights in the grain and in the grooves - I liked it and made a sample but it never sold again.