Back lit James Bond Memorabilia Shadowbox

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John Andreae
Organisation: Macclesfield
Interests: beekeeping, walking, growing veg, framing, music etc

Back lit James Bond Memorabilia Shadowbox

Post by John Andreae »

I've just completed this James Bond display for which the customer requested back lighting of the film cells. This has been a massive learning curve and I welcome any comments /suggestions as to how I could have done it better!!

I've used LED tape cut into short strips of 3 LED lights and joined in series with LED tape connectors.

The display consisted of a back and front matt and the led's and circuitry were mount behind the rear matt with window to allow light to the film cells in the front matt. (I wanted to show the ugly bit- my circuitry but forgot to photo it!!

One problem was that the individual LEDs showed through the film cells which didn't look good so I diffused the light by taping thin white card behind the film cells.

As the circuitry is behind the rear matt it will be possible to access it in the event of electrical failure without disturbing the core sandwich of the display. The 12v battery pack is ,as shown, exposed at the back so that batteries can easily be replaced. Also shown is the switch inserted into the bottom of the frame.

I have included a small ventilation hole at the top covered with fine muslim to allow any heat to escape. (However the customer will only be turning the light on for short periods of time- perhaps people have comments about whether this would work for a continuous display connected to the mains via a transformer. I don't know what the heat generation issues would be.)

I had to research on this forum how to fix the 1st Edition James Bond books and was kindly given this link http://theframersforum.com/download/file.php?id=7535 which proved very helpful. I used strong and very clear 'melinex' film wrapped round the book and inserted through slits in the matt and fixed at the back.

If anyone is interested I can give info about suppliers of the various electrical and other bits and pieces. One problem was that the LED connectors weren't long enough so I had to cut them and add in additional wire. Not very satisfactory.

Anyway I (and more importantly, the customer!) am pleased with the result.

John
Attachments
Whole array with backlit film cells
Whole array with backlit film cells
IMG_1452.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Close up of film cells
Close up of film cells
IMG_1453.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Rear matt showing exposed LEDs behind
Rear matt showing exposed LEDs behind
IMG_1420.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Battery pack and switch at back
Battery pack and switch at back
IMG_1456.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Back lit James Bond Memorabilia Shadowbox

Post by IFGL »

I would be pleased with that too, very nice.
John Andreae
Organisation: Macclesfield
Interests: beekeeping, walking, growing veg, framing, music etc

Post by John Andreae »

Thanks- I tried to view your 'In case of emergency...... but couldn't get the image up!

i was interested in you comment about your 'customer Facebook page' how does that work? Is it just that your customers are your friends on that page?
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Terrific
Sean
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I have reduced the size, hope this works now for you.

The customer put it on her own face book, the people commented and asked where it was done, we also put it on our page and the customer commented on it and liked it, we would then show up on her friends feed because of the like.
Attachments
rps20151029_235917.jpg
rps20151029_235917.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 6575 times