Make Your Own Moulding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
prospero

Make Your Own Moulding

Post by prospero »

I needed a deep moulding to allow a spacer of 35mm. Didn't have anything handy so....

Go to Wickes and get an 8ft length of 63m x 34mm studding. Clamp it down and get out the router fitted with a half-rounding bit.

Cut along one corner.

Set Table saw to chop out a rebate 12mm wide and 47mm deep.
Here I've done the shallow cut. I did the deep one in two passes, increasing the blade depth for the second.
My table saw is strictly the cheapo DIY variety. If you have pro kit you would do it in one.

Slightly out-of-focus results.

The bit that came out of the rebate ripped down to 35mm. This will be the spacer in the frame.

After this I roughed up the outer surfaces with a wire brush to give the 'driftwood' effect.
I have the frame assembled and working on the finish.

Watch this space..... :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Re: Make Your Own Moulding

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote:Go to Wickes
Pathetic lack of self-reliance, Prospero. You should be ashamed of yourself!
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Prospero....... again :) Really! Does your ability meter even have a measurable stopping point :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Coat of shellac. Coat of dark brown. Coat of white. Quick sand and wax. Bingo. :P
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

That is good, very good.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Crazy!

Why the shellac?
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Post by Fellows Framing »

Great frame and fish.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The shellac is mostly to seal the knots in case they ooze at a later date. I managed to get them mostly on the sides though. It also helps paint adhesion on fresh cut wood.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Thanks.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

And as if by magic....... That's a great looking end product. Really good :clap: :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Nice job!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Didn't take long either. Most of the time was setting up the guides on the saw. If you were doing a quantity you could knock it out rapido.

The stick of wood was 2.99.

I only paid a tenner for the router. :lol:
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Looks great :)

When I first started framing I made all my own mouldings with lots of different shaped router cutters.
Lots of fun but after the first year I had became a nightmare (short of space) and I work from home.

Still do the odd job from scratch :)
Anything Framed
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you are doing a 'rustic' finish then you can get by with relatively simple tools. I little wiggle here and there is not important and may even add to the overall effect. The main thing is to get your work fixed down firmly. The pair of workmates (7.50 each from Screwfix) makes an ideal setup for clamping long timbers. On the table saw I added various improvised guides so that the timber is kept on the right track and minimal hand guidance required. Sometimes, routing a groove or rounding an edge makes a plain piece into something a lot more appealing.

For finer work using nicer woods you really need a better table saw than the one I have. A router table would be better than doing it hand-held. Other useful kit would be a bandsaw and a planer/thicknesser. These will allow you to work on better woods and produce finer finishes. These machines take more space up though.

With these machines you can do a great deal. But they will have their limits. For instance, if you want to mill a big scoop. Some profiles are beyond the capabilities of most DIY woodworking gear.