How do I make a frame like this . . . .

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
dayframes
Organisation: john day fine art
Interests: Painting, drawing and framing

How do I make a frame like this . . . .

Post by dayframes »

I found this beautiful contemporary frame in a gallery in Fulham and really want to create something similar for a large painting I have – I really love the patina but also the pitted and distressed texture of the gesso.
Hopefully you will be able to see the attachment . . .
P1040938.JPG
P1040938.JPG (4.95 MiB) Viewed 6734 times
I have been gilding for a while but have no idea how to create this sort of surface in the gesso – other than producing loads of pin holes from the air bubbles but it seems more than that.
Has anyone made this sort of frame and if so can they share their knowledge and give me some guidance on how to make a frame like this.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: How do I make a frame like this . . . .

Post by vintage frames »

This frame looks as if they have painted on the gesso and as it cools, stippled the surface a bit with their brush. You would have to experiment a bit yourself. It's then important not to sand the gesso with sandpaper but use say, 00 wire wool to polish the surface.
After that it's a simple oil giled frame and they've used an oil medium glaze of umbers and then varnished it off with some shellac.
At least that's all I can tell from the photo.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
dayframes

Post by dayframes »

Dear Vintage Frames
Thank you very much for your expert advice a really big help.
Yes I intend to experiment before hitting the moulding as it will be quite an elaborate process I don't want to muck up the frame.
Will try a range of brushes, probably hog hair may be quite effective - and see if I can create a similar pattern. I guess its also possible to push into the soft gesso with tooth picks and such like to touch up areas that missed out.
Better start mixing up some batches of gesso !
prospero

Post by prospero »

Have you tried overheating the gesso so that it starts to get air bubbles in? Never tried it but worth a go.

I have in the past used a hot-air gun over dried gesso to produce a flaky surface. But you tend to get a scabby look rather than small holes.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
dayframes

Post by dayframes »

Dear Prospero

Thanks for your suggestion. I did think about the air bubbles and pin holes - I have this sometimes and often wipe over a slurry to fill them.

But these are not complete circles and zooming in on the photo you will see they are irregular forms and channels as well that give it an old battered look.

Certainly I think the pin holes will be a start and then like vintage frames explained work the soft gesso with a dry brush to stipple and drag.

I guess its going to take a lot of eperimenting, marking the gesso, filling and marking again but hopefully the more ideas I get then the easier it will be.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Looks remarkably like the bit of dado around the dart board in the pub I used to frequent 20 years ago, the finish on that was a white gloss paint followed by 20 years worth of nicotine staining, the holes are simply created by stray darts, I always thought old Dave the landlord had a artistic streak.