Sandbags (illustrated)

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Sandbags (illustrated)

Post by John »

If you have the ceiling height, you can make a great tool balancer using a sandbag and a couple of pulleys.

I have put washed gravel in the sandbag, the kind you get for the bottom of a fish tank, but if you prefer sand, better use a plastic bag as a liner to prevent leakage.

I think these are superior to the commercial balancers, as the tension remains constant when you pull the tool down, and you do not have to fight against a big recoil force as you work at bench level - even on a large frame - a lot cheaper too. :)
markw

Post by markw »

John
were you a blue peter presenter in a former life?

hope the new shop is going well? - the idea of what we would do if we were to completly redesign our workshop is one i have often pondered - i have much too much clutter - and have learnt a few lessons about what kit i would buy - you are obviously doing just that. bit of kit i couldnt do without - large keencut glass and board cutter - being a short ass this makes cutting large sheets of glass easy - and safe.

sadly the old pub that is my workshop wouldnt allow for sandbags - even at my height they would be hazardous.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Sandbags!

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi markw,

Try the Fletcher 3100, its a superb machine for cutting glass, MDF, mountboard, foamboard, perspex, etc.

I bought one about 6 years ago now, wishing I had bought it long, long before. Just bolt it to the wall and work away.

Steven

PS
Great idea Mr Noakes or is it Purvis?
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre