Black gummed paper tape

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Black gummed paper tape

Post by Not your average framer »

I would like to get some black gummed paper tape, if it is available. Can anyone advise where I can get it?
Thanks in advance.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Black gummed tape

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I suggest you try Lion B'ham, or any Colourmount stockist.
Ask for Colourmount's DEEP BEVEL TAPE - Black.
Its 48mm x 25 metres.
Hope this helps.

Keith Hewitt
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm after black licky-sticky tape to seal the back of pictures. I think this one is a non-starter, because my local packaging company has told me they can get what I want if I order 112 rolls of it at about £5 per roll. So I think I'll be sticking with the regular brown stuff.
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

I know you want wet tape but there is a self adhesive tape called Takstrip Self-Adhesive Tape. It come in a few colours including black.
See middle of page here
The company say it can be used for "Non packaging applications .......... paper reel splicing, picture framing".
Not ideal but may help you
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
Not your average framer

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still looking to avoid self-adhesive. John (Roboframer) and myself were discussing this the other day as I want to place back mountboard behind the normal backing and then tape the back with black licky sticky for a very classy look. I've already had my labels re-printed with a matt black background and satin gold lettering.

I now see that on his glass-spacer-glass thread, John has been even smarter with a black mountboard dustcover and avoided using tape at all. This may be the solution for me too!
Not your average framer

Got some! I've got some black gummed paper tape arriving tomorrow. Not exactly cheap, but at least I didn't have to order 112 rolls at a total of £600.
prospero

Post by prospero »

There is a new thread on the Grumble (Two Things) that might be pertinent re. black stuff. One reply points to this site:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Ma ... _index.htm

Only had a quick glance but looks very interesting.... :shock:
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

I would be interested to know where you managed to get it from.
Not your average framer

The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote:I would be interested to know where you managed to get it from.
Sorry,

I didn't realise that I hadn't followed it up. When the stuff arrived, it was not gummed, but self-adhesive with an embosed texture. I sent it back, as it was not what I asked for. Since then I've tried making my own using black paper and Stephen Golden Gum, which I thought should be O.K., but it wasn't either.

It's a bit of a flop so far. I haven't given up on the idea, but it's not going anywhere fast right now.
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Found a link to a US site that might be of interest.
HERE
Not much else about
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
Not your average framer

Thanks David,

Something similar is available in the UK, but it's a self adhesive one over here. There also is a self-adhesive black paper tape made by Epifix, I've not seen what it is like, but I'm trying to avoid self-adhesive tapes in general.

I have even considered a black backing board taped in place with narrow brown gummed paper tape. That's not really what I was hoping for, but in the end it might be the only option left.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Don't forget to give Ricky @ Mainline a shout..... He said he had something of interest.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

I've already spoken to him and posted something about what he is getting, it sounds like black Tyvek or some think similar. He gonna put a post on the forum when he gets some.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

I think I may of found some.

It is Black Gummed paper Kraft tape that you need to wet - not self adhesive.
The company is Windmill Tapes in Stockport http://www.windmilltapes.co.uk/
They can print normal brown tape black (or floodcoat the plain tape I think is the tecnical term).
Min qty is 96 rolls for 48mm (2") and 72 Rolls for 72mm (3").

The person to contact is Ian Southern IanS@windmilltapes.co.uk
Not your average framer

Thanks JGF No:1,

I've just spoken to Ian Southern and it all sounds very positive. He is even willing to split an order between a few of us if we all order at the same time.

The price for either width at the minimum order quantity would be about £300 for the complete quantity.

I think the problem has been solved!
Elaine
Organisation: Lytham
Interests: reading, internet, TV, art, antiques

Re: Black gummed paper tape

Post by Elaine »

Hello Not your average framer, I don't suppose you have any of your gummed black tape left to sell to me have you? Regards Elaine
Not your average framer

Hi Elaine,

In the end, my staff talked me out of buying so much tape in one go. It would have taken years to use it all and we were not sure what the shelf life of this tape would be. I'm still very tempted to get some one day, but it's a bit extravagant in a recession.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
olileech
Organisation: none
Interests: Art

Post by olileech »

I think this is the sort of stuff you are looking for, black gum tape (becomes sticky with water)....
http://www.muse-paper.co.jp/page7/muse7-5.html

One small snag is that it is sold in Japan, and I still have yet to find the equivalent in the UK.
A framer from Hong Kong sold me a few rolls and I use it to finish the edges of my canvases.

Comes in 20mm, 25mm, and 38mm widths, and can be found on the Japanese amazon if you can somehow navigate through the language barrier!

I'm looking for something a little wider for my current pieces so if anybody finds any in the UK please post.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Is that stuff gummed or self-adhesive?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Quote goooogle translation: .......is the color tape to issue a sticky by the inclusion of moisture.

Think the gist is in the affirmative. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About