Framing a Magazine

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
lasia221

Framing a Magazine

Post by lasia221 »

I'm framing a magazine for a friend. His daughter did a photo shoot for a local magazine, and there's pages inside, as well as her photo on the cover.

So far what I have is this 10x13 deep (3-4") shadow box frame. I was going to put the magazine on a small easel inside so that the magazine wasn't deep inside the frame, and looked mro unique.

The problem right now is what to do wiht teh magazine so that all the pages are tight togehter (i'm going to put a piece of sturdy cardboard in the middle to keep it upright on the easle, and a piece of sheet magnet to keep it ON the easle). I don't want to do anythi8ng permanent, and I don't have access to shrinkwrap.
MY thought had been these clips I once saw in Office Max, that were metal, kinda decorative, and the sides bend back to clip together larger amounts of paper, without damaging them. Kiunda wraps around like a bandaid.
Can'tfind the darn things now.
I don't know how else to keep the magazine firmly all together.
ANY ideas?????
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Oh this is fun - you have brightened up our dull friday morning with a bit of debate in the workshop.

Hot contenders for a solution are knicker elastic (preferably not used), a small strip of polypropylene looped around the magazine on each side, and a book sleave.

Welcome to the forum by the way, I am Sarah and not John as the post might suggest - I'm just too lazy too log out and log in again as myself.

We will continue to debate and I gaurantee someone will get you an answer to your quandry.

Good luck in the meantime
markw

magazine

Post by markw »

piece of stiff board inside cover - piece of board at back of mag - both same size as magazine - allow for fixing back board to easel with wire - thread wires through small holes. cut piece of wrapping material - plastic celophane etc - wrap across front board - taping to back. iron - very carefully the fold of front of mag (you may want to do this first if you use wrapping material affected by heat - this is only to get cover to stay neatly folded. - wire finished mag to easel.
Hannu Nyström
Organisation: KEHYSTYSPALVELU NYSTRÖM
Interests: Family. Work. Basketball. Music. Beer. Bird ringing and ornithology. Fairness.

Post by Hannu Nyström »

Archival book mount made of Melinex-516 polyester clear film (or Mylar-D) works nicely when you want to float-mount a magazine, whole newspaper or book of any size or thickness on a solid background. You need two pieces of Melinex, some 3M #415 tape (or #889), sturdy backing board, burnishing bone, release paper, razor blade and straightedge.

Jim Miller keeps classes on this technique in the USA and I think that if you send him an e-mail ARTFRAME@att.net , he'll be happy assist you. Jim is a frequent poster in the US Grumble and PPFA's Online Exchange (one more reason to belong to PPFA).

I wouldn't use shrink wrapping or cellophane films for any long term display. Those are not archival, but too soft and too flexible.

Once you get used to using polyester clear film, it's a wonderful mounting material. You can buy it from http://www.preservationequipment.co.uk/

Happy Framing!
Hannu Nyström
KEHYSTYSPALVELU NYSTRÖM (Framing Service Nyström)
Isännänkatu 29 B, FI-33820 Tampere, Finland
hannu@kehystyspalvelu.com
http://www.kehystyspalvelu.com
Member of Professional Picture Framers Association and Finnish Framers Association