Float mount a photograph

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
joe90bentley

Float mount a photograph

Post by joe90bentley »

Hi
Some help please - I have a photo that I would like to do something different with - I have had the basics explained about float mounting - can anyone epxlain this again to me -what way they would do it - what looks better

Any help on this owuld be a great help

Thanks in advance

Joe90
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Joe90,

I have never float mounted a photograph as they would tend to cockle and not look too great. I find that float mounting looks best on works which have an uneven and interesting edge, for example a papyrus.

Perhaps if you could tell us more about the effect you are trying to achieve...
markw

Post by markw »

Joe90 -
John is correct when he says that float mounted objects look better if they have a reason to be left untouched - watercolours on decal edged or handmade paper springs to mind. Having said that you can add a sense of drama to an image by float mounting. lots of varitions possible - object suspended within a frame - mountboard at back - spacing medium - normally foamcore - placed in deep rebate frame with fillets to distance glass from object. I prefer to use a mount that sits against the glass (shadow box mount) space can then be achieved using foam core. dark mounts can work well with light objects. achieving conservation grade framing can be very difficult as you have to "stick" the object - photograph to the spacer in such a way that it will stay where you want it. basic rule is to make sure that you cant see the mechanics when finished - so keep the spacers trimmed back, with dark mounts paint the spacers or use black foamcore to avoid seeing the spacers from the side of the frame.