Floating a magazine

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
James Miller
Organisation: ARTFRAME, Inc.
Interests: Picture framer; author of "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SHADOWBOXES AND FRAMING OBJECTS" and "MOUNTING OBJECTS WITH CLEAR FILM"; writer of feature articles for Picture Framing Magazine, USA; framing educator.

Post by James Miller »

Moglet wrote: Hi Jim,

I've heard mention of this technique here and on the Grumble, but have never seen an example of the finished result. Might we prevail upon your good graces to post a picture example sometime? :)
OK, here's one, which was the subject of a Picture Framing Magazine article a year or so ago. It is a very old, fragile needle art that had its edges disintegrated by acid burn in its old frame. I mounted this over a padded background of dark blue fabric, with an overlay of Crepeline. Museum Glass was also used...

Jim Miller
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the image. That's really classy!
Roboframer wrote:Screw the price - no-one is teaching these methods over here; to learn them - what you goona do? Fly to Vegas?

'Nuff said!
Hi John,

O.K., I've now seen Jim's post and posted image, I've gotta learn how to do this stuff and like you say "Screw the price".
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Thanks for that, Jim! What an effective technique!

The design is stunning! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Tulle is easy to find - stabiltex not so, but I have found a source in the UK and received some samples in about 10 colours.

Here's a polystyrene ball wrapped in tulle.

Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

It's surprising to see how near invisible it is, John! Do you secure the fabric by stitching?

Also, you mention using coloured fabric. Is the idea to try and match it to "flat coloured" items?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

The books certainly look interesting. I'd be interested in them also.

If you need someone to pop to Brum to collect, I'm the nearest so I can grab them and post them if required.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Roboframer wrote:Tulle is easy to find - stabiltex not so, but I have found a source in the UK and received some samples in about 10 colours.
Hi John,

Seeing how you sell fabrics, etc., would you consider being a supplier to the rest of us?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I would be interested in a set of books as well.

Are you volunteering Robo (John) to coordinate?
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Merlin wrote:I would be interested in a set of books as well.

Are you volunteering Robo (John) to coordinate?
I don't mind doing that but if Paul would be collecting it's him we'd need to send the money to. Either that or I could pay Dave by card and you could reimburse me, then we reimburse Paul for p+p?

Looks like 3 sets so far, me, you, Mark (NYAF) ?
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Can you count me in please for books too. Would also be interested if John does set him up as our supplier or even as an advisor on the best fabrics to use. My local material shop is about 8 miles away on the other side of Edinburgh.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:

Seeing how you sell fabrics, etc., would you consider being a supplier to the rest of us?
Well, I could just give you the supplier details for stabiltex - we don't sell that - I'd be the end user - it's expensive and I have not yet confirmed if the prices are per 1 metre roll or per metre, if it's per metre, it's bloody expensive!

Tulle we sell on rolls - I think 10-12" are the largest, so on;y any good for small things like golf balls, and we are out of stock at the mo' Pat does not order from the company very often. Maybe we could pass that suppliers' info on too - not sure if Pat would be happy with that and also think it's quite a large minimum order. Not a fortune in money, but a ton of stuff as it's so cheap!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:It's surprising to see how near invisible it is, John! Do you secure the fabric by stitching?
http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?t=29859

Also, for golf balls, being 'dimpled' it's even more invisible :)
Also, you mention using coloured fabric. Is the idea to try and match it to "flat coloured" items?
Yes, white would show over a dark piece, etc.

If you search for Stabiltex (also 'Stabilitex' as that was what some people seemed to call it and the reason it took so long for me to source :roll: ), tulle and them other words Jim said, on TFG, you'll find a mine of info.
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

Jim mentioned in an earlier post he is going to check how much shipping is for a box. If we order together we could split the shipping costs to the UK. Then it would be UK post charges to receive the books from who ever the shipment was sent to.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just spoke to Pat - we get the tulle on rolls from a 'wedding' supplier that sells ribbon and other stuff on rolls. (Can't remember the name but she only orders from them about once a year, will need to very soon)

She can get rolls (48 or 60" wide) of the stuff from 'Just Crafts' we've never bought it in this way, we could probably sell it if we did though!

She thinks they call it 'wedding net' but it's tulle.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

w00dward wrote:Jim mentioned in an earlier post he is going to check how much shipping is for a box. If we order together we could split the shipping costs to the UK. Then it would be UK post charges to receive the books from who ever the shipment was sent to.
But what about customs - import tax and PO handling charges? If Dave brings them over we'll avoid that and only have to get him bladdered and then pay the postage this end.
Not your average framer

Tulle and Stabiltex could be useful in framing all sorts of things. I'm looking forward to trying these techniques. What a brilliant way of fixing things in place.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Pat is going to get some samples of stabilitex type stuff from several suppliers - one may be the same thing under a different name.

I know PEL do a very fine mesh, but it's nylon; stabiltex is polyester. If she does find it it'll be priced for re-sale.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We like seeking things out under different names - we sell a product called 'magic mesh' It retails for about £2.99 for half a metre.

Know what it is? Plasterboard joint tape, which retails for about £3.99 for a 50m roll :shock:

OK magic mesh comes in other colours besides white, but crafters do not have a problem colouring it themselves if they can get it at - er - less per metre!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This is stabiltex

Macro shot

Supplier (manufacturer?) and prices - still don't know if by the metre or not - assuming so - said it was expensive didn't I (Pat still working on her suppliers)

daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Last piece of info I had on this product ;
Stabiltex is also called "Tetex TR". The fabric comes 102-108 cm wide on a roll of 25m

Sefar AG,
Filtration Division,
CH-9410
Heiden,
Switzerland
Phone: +41 71 898 57 00,
Fax: +41 71 898 57 21,
filtration@sefar.com,
www.sefar.com

UK Sefar Rep:
Filtration: Sales
Ross Nuttall