Double sided frames

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Double sided frames

Post by Coxby »

A client has just bought in a double sided advert and inevitably she likes both sides. I've made some ash moulding with a routed channel up the middle to slot the glass/artwork sandwich into but how on earth does one hang it so it can be flipped around easily without having to uncrew unsightly d-rings etc. or am I'm flogging a dead horse!?
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Double Sided Frames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Coxby,

No your not flogging a dead horse, this nis actually quite easy.

I you dont want to use mounts, use Archival Hanging corners, and slip the article into them, and sandwich the two pieces of glass either side. Fitting the glass into the rebate is also quite easy, you can use two methods, (1) the silcone method, but watch for seepage, and (2) use glass points (smaller than Framer's points) and tape up but not showing the tape from the front.

If you use mounts, do what I have aptly named, mirror mounts, and place them back to back, use the same method of attaching the article to the glass as above and again use silicone or small glass points.

Dont be scared, go for it, it easy.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Double Sided

Post by SquareFrames »

hi Coxby,

Sorry about my last answer, I have just checked my posting, and your posting is quite different from what I originally seen. All I seen was double sided frame and am I flogging a dead horse. AOL, eh? musnt have been fully awake.

Anyhow, I dont think you can get away without D rings, its a rock and a hard place. One's clients must and will realise that it will need to be hanging. BUT, what about a Strap Hanger, routed into the side of the moudling? Are you skilled with a router? It would be like the reabte you cut of for a door hinge!!!! Nice brass hagers and small linked chain would set this project off. Do you know any chippies that could help?

Let us know if this would work.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

For easy flipping, hanging from the top is often the best solution.

A lot depends on the moulding profile you have used and the overall size of the frame. But you could drill two vertical holes in the top bar of the frame, equidistant from the centre, through which cord or wire can be threaded to form a loop from which the poster could be hung. If you are handy with a router you could make a groove on the underside of the top bar in which the wire/cord would run, hiding it from view when the frame is flipped.

If the picture is large and heavy there would be concern that the top bar of the frame may tend to pull apart over time. In this case, cord, wire, or even ribbon of a suitable material, can be looped down the sides and along the bottom of the frame then hidden from view with a suitable outer frame.