Fix for Cassesse CS-79 jamming when using 15mm wedges.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Fix for Cassesse CS-79 jamming when using 15mm wedges.

Post by Not your average framer »

My CS-79 has always jammed if I try to use it with 15mm wedge. It came like it as new and I was pretty much flobbed off when I complained to the supplier with tales like " it only for light use". Well, over the five years I've had the machine, this failing has always annoyed me.

Since I'm currently developing some new ideas with stacking mouldings and underpinning them together while the glue sets, as this would be easier with 15mm wedges, I decided to try and get it sorted YET AGAIN.

However, unlike previous attempts, this time was successful. First stop was Simons machinery department (who are more helpful than the original supplier). They recommended and supplied a new hammer and hammer retaining screw. This was good sound advice, but I still had the problem.

Simons refered me to Mark Griffith who suggested that there might be a burr or sharp edge in the distributor block. So I pulled it apart and smoothed the appropiate edges with a small file. This made a very small improvement, but it was still jamming.

After playing around with it for a while I decided to try a shim between the two halves of the distributor block apart to increase the clearance in the widge firing path and this has solved the problem. My thanks to Mark, plus Joe and Sarah in Simons machinery department.

The shim thickness required being made up from two thicknesses of Simons delivery note paper. There's gotta be a punch line for a joke in there somewhere, or perhaps a new verse or two for the framers blues!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Certainly some brownie points for Simons! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Moglet wrote:Certainly some brownie points for Simons! :)
And Mark Griffith, he's an independant framing equipment engineer.

BTW, I've got the punchline: "Non delivery of wedges fixed by Simons delivery note".
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Any chance of a picture please ?
Pat
Not your average framer

The Crofter wrote:Any chance of a picture please ?
Hi Pat,

Yes, I'll take one later.

BTW, this idea ain't quite as good as it seems, as the paper appears to compress over time allowing the gap to shrink, so I've got to find something less subject to the effects of compression.

Also it seems to only solve the problem when there are plenty of wedges in the cassette, as it occassionally still jams with less wedges in the cassette, so Monday I shall be ordering a new wedge feeder spring to see if this helps.

I thought I'd got it fixed, but at least it shouldn't take much to fix this last niggle.
Not your average framer

Re: Fix for Cassesse CS-79 jamming when using 15mm wedges.

I had a phone call today from the company which supplied my CS-79, (I won't name them, so don't ask). It turns out that they have been in contact with Cassesse and during the period when my machine was made (about 5 years ago) it should have been fitted with a modification, but was not for some unknown reason.

Apparently only one batch of these machines needed this modification, which was to correct a problem which only occurred when using 15mm wedges. I may just have been unlucky and my machine may well have been the only one to get out of the factory without this modification being fitted.

Although it's probably very unlikely, if you own a CS-79 machine built during 2003 which jams when using 15mm wedges, it may be worth asking your supplier if your machine was from this batch. If so they probably can arrange for the neccesary instructions to be made available so you can check and if neccesary, correct this problem.

I now have removed my paper shims, while I await my modification instructions being sent to me.

BTW, it may be that the Alfa-macchine wedges for the Cassesse do not have the same pressed in crease half way along the height of the 15mm wedges, which may or may not have helped. Obviously Cassesse would not recommend another suppliers wedges and I am including this information just in case, without any further comments.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Thanks for the update, I have to say that I personally would not use any other manufacturers wedges in my machine but that is not from any pratical experience.
Pat
Not your average framer

I had a sample Alfa-macchine cartridge of 15mm wedges delivered today. These are sold by Alfa-macchine for use in Cassesse underpinners. As some will know, both Alfa-macchine and Cassesse sell wedges for each others underpinners.

Having tried them in my underpinner, I can report that they work without any problems. I did notice that the plastic cartridges are rather floppy compared to the Cassesse cartridges, perhaps this is because the plastic is thinner.

Please note that this is not a recommendation, but just for information. I still intend implementing the Cassesse modification when the instruction sheet arrives and expect to continue using Cassesse wedges.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

It's all finally fixed. I received the necessary information and some plain flat washers (only one required)

I carried out the modification as instructed and it worked, but I then discovered that it was no longer driving the wedges fully into the frame moulding. So I had to work out that this could be adjusted by un-doing an allen key screw and rotating a threaded collar until the factory setting could be restored, before re-tightening the same allen key screw.

It's a lot of fiddling about, but at last it now works with all sizes of wedges. This problem should only apply to very few CS-79's and should be checked with the supplier of your machine to see if you machine could be one of the very few, which may have this problem. Your supplier can then advise you if this modification should be applied to your machine too!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Way to go Mark! Jammin' is a thing of the past!
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:Jammin' is a thing of the past!
And I will feel alright!
:P
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
lampie512
Organisation: AirFramed
Interests: ww2 history,fine food and wine, countryside

Post by lampie512 »

I was very interested to read this as I'm having exactly the same problem with a CS-79.
5,7,10,12mm wedges, no problem, but 15mm wedges jam.
I'm using Cassesse wedges, the underpinner is cleaned and lubricated and it was bought new( ex demo) in October 2011.

As its probably very unlikely that my CS-79 is one of the 2003 batch mentioned in previous posts,( Unless it had been sitting as a demo unit for 8 years), has anyone else come across this recently and is the "fix" still available?

Thanks in advance,

Nige
Not your average framer

It might be a smart move to email Cassese and ask for the modification details.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
sprint95m

This is....

Post by sprint95m »

Very informative.

I had thought I was alone encountering this problem. It hit me during the Christmas rush a few years ago but I was able to repair the underpinner and struggle on.
:) I now have various spares to hand, clock spring, hammer, block.......