Grey Board as Backing (illustrated)

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Grey Board as Backing (illustrated)

Post by Merlin »

Here we go again. Picture framed some 10 years ago with 3mm Greyboard as the backing board.
Picture one shows quite severe foxing (acid) as viewed from the back of the picture.
Picture two shows a closer view of the effect of this foxing which has migrated onto the image itself. The image is on 280 gram paper, which is fairly normal print standard.

ImageImage

Disaster really, as this print is really sort after and it is now out of print. Yes, maybe a conservator could do something with it. However, if only a barrier sheet was used, maybe, just maybe this would not have happened.

Artist please note: I know its all down to costs for you. Grey board is very good to support the images whilst in a display unit, but should not be used as the backing in a frame.
Like hardboard, It is just full of acid really waiting to jump out and east something else.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Foxing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

Severe is not the word for the foxing. Yet again a framer using what was probably the cheapest backing he could lay their hands on at that time.
Also Grey Board attracts 'Damp' which is another main problem, and once the damp gets into it and it starts cockling and releasing the acidic content, well...that what happens. A good paper conservator 'should be' able to sort that out. Pete Bingham and his wife, Sam are excellent conservators. If you are going to the SFB, bring it along and let him have a look at it. Tell him I told you so.......I send anything I need conserving, etc., over to his place in Sheffield, and have always been suprised by their high standard of work and care they take.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

A good example of how not to do it.

What a shame. The life of this print could have been so easily extended with relatively little extra cost in time and materials.

But even framed to the highest standard, this customer would be well advised against exposing his picture to such damp conditions.

p.s.
Just an interesting observation - we have three pictures hanging in our bathroom for the past 20 years which have been framed in the above manner (no. not by us). Soon after they were first hung I knowingly decreed that they wouldn't last in such a humid environment and that I would replace them at the first sign of deterioration.

We are still waiting for any outward sign. Yes, I know it will come. Though not nearly as quickly as I thought.