gilding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't

gilding

Post by Guest »

hello im new here,

i was wondering if anyone had any water gilding advice. for instance does anyone here who does gilding experience beading marks. once the gold has been burnished if it is then distressed there is a water beading pattern that is apparent. ie lots of small bubles where the gold is removed. how is this avoided? also how does one lay leaves on without getting tears in the gold?

any advice would be apreciated
markw

Post by markw »

i suspect your problem is the finish prior to guilding having small bubbles in it. There are lots of tips for stopping gesso bubbling - dont stir too much - use distilled water to make the mix - a little meths added to the mix can help defloculate. bet i dont use that word again today.

Post by Guest »

to gild i use about half a jar of water with a couple of capfulls of size in it and a couple of capfuls of alcohol. im not sure what size it is but it isnt fish or rabbit skin i dont think. i think its just made of general animal leftovers.

the beading is not on the surface before hand, it looks like left over liquid that then drys and leaves the beading. maybe i have too much size in the mix
angelman

GILDING PROBLEMS

Post by angelman »

CONTACT ME FOR GILDING. OR ANY OTHER PROBLEM. I AM A SELF THOUGHT MAN AND MADE MANY EXPERIMENTS. NOW I OWN A SMALL FACTORY AND PRODUCE SMALL QUANTITIES FOR OUR SHOP IN MALTA.
I HAVE CRIED ENOUGH AND SHOULD OFFER SOME HELP TO ANYONE AT ANY TIME.
FEEL FREE TO ASK ME. I HAVE EXPEREINCE IN VARIOUS CLIMATES. WITH DIFFERENT RAW MATERIALS.

CONTACT ME AT : GIUSEPPE@VOL.NET.MT