Substrates for large photographs

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Substrates for large photographs

Post by Coxby »

I've been dry mounting 36" x 36" photographs on 10mm foamboard made from two sheets of 5mm board mounted together. This works OK to a certain degree but when dealing with large areas of foamboard it is very susceptible to warping :x

I'm float framing these within a frame with a 1/2" gap around the perimeter and then using velcro to keep the photograph/board in place. This works really well and the photo can be removed easily for transport and is great as the foamboard is a lightweight substrate.

Does anyone know of a different way I can get the same result using a less warp prone substrate [if any] that doesn't way a tonne?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

When bonding the two 5mm sheets ensure that they are pressed firmly together and held perfectly flat until the bond 'takes'.

Use a cold process to bond the photograph to the foamcore, this prevents the curvature that is sometimes introduced when drymounting.

Any chance of a picture? It sounds like an interesting job.
Coxby

Cold press

Post by Coxby »

I currently use an Ademco 24" press but the photo hangs out the side so I have to take 4 bites to get the whole area bonded. I use a foam matress so I don't get bite marks but it's just the heat which causes the foamboard to bend me thinks. Do they make jumbo 10mm?
jeyelle

Post by jeyelle »

Hi There

Not sure if this is too late but I am relatively new to the board.
In answer to your question, 10mm foamboard is available in sheet size 8ft by 4ft I think. If you have not found an answer yet, please reply and I will forward the supplier

Regards

Jeremy
Coxby

Post by Coxby »

Thanks for your reply Jeyelle, I have asked around and you're right! Those handy people at Wessex Pictures can supply 10mm in 2440 x 1220 sheets :P Their website is http://www.wessex-pictures.co.uk for your info. Ed