Welded Wedding photo

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Welded Wedding photo

Post by John »

HELP!

A customer recently brought in a wedding photo where the glass had broken she wanted the glass replaced, unfortunately the photo is welded to the broken glass.

Has anyone had any success with removing a photo from glass? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I have not had much luck in removing 'welded' glass from a photograph, especially if the original phot was on glossy paper.

We have seen quite a few of these over the years and the only advice we offer is to get the photo and glass scanned then reworked in a digital package, something like Photoshop, to get rid of the scratches/glass edges.

Then again, I do have access to a very good scanner and top line experienced printer. It usually means a new mount and frame as well. So of course I would this :P
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

John - Merlins suggestion re scanning is about as good an answer that you will get. I have tried soaking the glass and photo in warm water - it doesnt budge. I know look for the signs of "welding" and tell the customer its a lost cause. It highlights the reason for using a mount. Worth noting i have never seen a photo welded to non reflective glass (etched).
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Photo

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

This can be a lost cause as markw states, but according to Allan Lambs 'Framing Phtotgraphy' book, you should try immersing the whole package into water. I think distilled water would be better, but never having tried this, I would not be so sure. I havent got the book with me, as I am researching some details about photography framing, but I will look at it this evening, scan it and post the exact pasage from his book tonight.

Steven

'Never Say Never' (Not yet anyhow.......)
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

I have tried immersing photos on a number of occasions without success -even using warm soapy water, you may well get fairly small areas to release but large areas generally wont soak through from the back and so the weld stays dry and tight. thinking back to the photos that ive had in very few of them were old mono photos - most newer photos on shiny paper - only takes a damp atmospher to get them to stick fast to the glass. Older photos may soak as the paper used wasnt as water resistant as newer pics.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Steven’s idea of immersing it in water works……. or at least it has worked for me in the past….let it dry out afterwards on a good flat surface….for example a clean sheet of glass.

I would suggest that you scan it first least a disaster occurs.

Good luck

Dermot

PS
This subject has been covered on the US Grumble may times this is one thread http://www.thegrumble.com/cgibin/ultima ... 1;t=007561

You can search the grumble for Photo stuck to glass and it will bring up many more threads on this subject…..including advice from “Preserver” (Hugh Phibbs) and Rebecca……two very knowledgeable conservators.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

An after thought…….this example of the photo is a great example of why spacers or window mounts should be used when framing…….great story to relay to your customer and a great reason why a professional picture framer should be used…
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Many thanks guys for all your help.

The lady decided to abandon any attempt at repair as she thought that another member of the family might have a copy of this 15-year-old wedding photo.

Unfortunately she would not leave it with me. It would have been a great example to hang in the shop as a visual aid to customers who are unconvinced of the merits of using a window mount on a photograph.

Dermot. It's nice to see that you have not disserted us. Hope your new venture goes well.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Photos

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry for the delay, but here is as promised the passage from Allan Lambs book.

There are several methods that may work, but there will be some surface damage no matter which method is used. No method is guaranteed, so it will best to copy the photo before trying to save the original. (I thought everyone knew that as a matter of cousre)

The method: Method A Submerge the glass and photo in nwater, photo side up, glass side down, and wiat for them to separate on their own.

Method B
: Apply dry ice or heat to the glass. The glass will shear itself from the photo.

So there you have it, a passage from the PPFA's library of books, method B being a bit extreme in my view, but if it works, who cares?

Speaking of getting copies made before framing, I get my customers to do this, and then in some cases frame the copies and the customers then put the original images away for safe keeping. I will only advise this if the copies made are of a professional standard, and no copyright laws are broken. To another extent, I also get my customers to copy their Degree certificates, qualification certificates and one I advised a customer to do last wek, her dog's breeding certificate from the Kennel Club. Not only is this a good idea for safe keeping, etc., but now a days when young graduates have to show their degree certs to prospective employers, its easier to carry a piece of paper rather than a few framed certs.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre