Mouldings for stacking & hand finishing.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Mouldings for stacking & hand finishing.

Post by Not your average framer »

I've been having a good look at some samples of the Simons range of contract mouldings. Some of them are in obeche, but some are still in unspecified hardwoods. Some of these samples are better finished quality than I had previously realised and are worth stocking as display samples in my shop.

A particular interest for me is their possible use in stacked moulding combinations and due to their low costs, this could lead to some very profitable combinations. As many will know, I'm into both hand finishing and stacking mouldings to make large impressive profiles and the ability to control the overall cost of such combinations is often a significant issue.

I don't fancy stripping the finish off of these, as done by Prospero, so I'm looking into ways of finishing over the existing finishes. Probably my first approach will be to try shellac over the existing finish and the water based finish of my choice over that. This method was first suggested on this forum by Prospero. (Thanks for the tip Peter!)

On the same subject, our new Mainline rep popped in this week and showed me a new range of some very nice art-deco style polcore mouldings with multiple stepped scoops. To be honest, I'm not a fan of polymer mouldings at all, but these looked so nice, that I've ordered some. The price was tempting too!

I want to use them stacked inside an outer wood moulding for both strength and effect as I always worry about customers wrecking a frame and discovering that it was made of plastic. Yes, I know I'm a bit out of date in my thinking by some standards, but I'm geared to the traditional and upper end of the market and prefer to be very careful about adverse perceptions.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Mouldings for stacking & hand finishing.

Post by prospero »

Hi Mark and Thanks for the plug. :D

Simons have some really useful plain obeches. One I use (OBEC0020) is a BIG flat one about 3 1/2 wide and and 1" thick. Coved back and sight edge. It's really got some meat in it. Not dear either. I flip it over and drop a hockey stick in the rebate.
OBEC0045 is a nice chunky beveled liner. They also do some nice contempary shapes that no one else does.

Got a sample this morning of a shadowbox moulding and complementary spacer. Ref 000K/498 (if I read it right). Gives 2 3/4" clear depth. It does have a sealing coat. Not tried it for finishing yet.

btw. I have tried the shellac method on poly moudings and it seems to work. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:
Simons .................Got a sample this morning of a shadowbox moulding and complementary spacer. Ref 000K/498 (if I read it right). Gives 2 3/4" clear depth. It does have a sealing coat. Not tried it for finishing yet.
I got that too, took it straight to the workshop and mitred one end - Weetabix! - So I thought 'OK - that was the end, let's try the middle' - Weetabix!

Not talking about the bottom bit; the whole back edge was a turtle mess - just as it is with a lot of similar from other suppliers recently - regards big floater frames etc. Turtely Morso-unfriendly snotwood - straight in the bin.
prospero

Post by prospero »

My bit was alright. :lol:

The spacer is quite useful for other purposes. I sometimes use use similar wide flat sections on the edge of mouldings to extend the sides down. I've used skirting boards on bigger stuff. Particually useful for gallery wraps when you don't want to restretch.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Image[/QUOTE]

wish I could draw. :?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have discovered that any Simons contract type mouldings, which may be still available from stock in hardwood versions (possibly ramin), are likely to be re-ordered in obeche when existing stocks are exhausted.

Sorry, my earlier comments were from my own assumptions based upon the samples which I have received.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer