Corrugated backing board - advice please

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Alzibiff

Corrugated backing board - advice please

Post by Alzibiff »

Hello,
The corrugated backing board which I have has a waterproof membrane on one side which I believe should be on the inside of the frame sandwich. The board bows with the membrane on the inside - that is, so that the side which is on the outside is convex. Does this sound right and a good thing? It can't see how this can work properly and keep the enclosed artwork flat - given that it only touches the inside of the frame contents at the edges. Can anyone offer me advice here - to stick with this board or go to 2mm MDF?

Thank you,
Alan
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

corrugated board

Post by JFeig »

here in the US.......... corrugated board, made from kraft paper (brown paper pulp) is not acceptable, nor is MDF.

Depending on the quality (conservation)......... we use

standard foam core

AF foam core

Rag foam core

Coroplast® (poly fluted poly)
or
100% rag
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi Alan, and a happy New Year.
I use MDf as suplied by "Lion" it is treated and smooth on both sides. I havent found it in any of the sheds, theirs is only treated on one side.
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Happy New Year to everyone!
The board I am talking about is "K-Board" - I bought a number of sheets some time ago although I DO use 2mm MDF as you describe Mick. This board is a competitor of Corricor (or whatever name it goes by now) but was advertised as being able to take adhesive tape which - when I purchased the K board - was a problem for Corricor I believe.

Alan
markw

Post by markw »

waterproof membrane on outside - bow pushes on artwork and flattens. Despite claims that the waterproof membranes allow for good adhesion I still am not 100% happy with the result - but its a lot better than it used to be. The new conservation grade boards are good and I now use this as standard.

it does seem that a number of claims are being made by rival manufacturers about quality - as always I use a reliable supplier and expect a high quality product.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Mark. are you talking the 'new' Art-core boards here. the new conservation grade boards.
If not what backing boards are you on about please.

Happy New Year
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Hi John - HNY

Art core - Art Bak - Corrricor conservation - they all seem to be produced by the same company and marketed by many others.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

I was just looking up there at Jfeigs post about the corriplast. We sometimes use the same/similar stuff, in the UK its brand name is Correx. Usually from a signmaking supplies wholesaler. Pretty useful stuff, and stores well.

Just out of interest what is the problem in the USA with using art-cor/corricor/art-bak etc? Is it that the UK supplied products are a different spec to the USA products?
markw

Post by markw »

Kev - The Uk Corricor Art Bak etc are all made by Smurfit in the uk - so its probably not available in the states. - Correx is a useful material - but fairly expensive.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

backing mat'l

Post by JFeig »

the coroplast cost is approx $5.50us for a 48 x 96 sheet 3mm - 3/16".

the 3 products you folks have are not available in US

coroplast is indeed used in the sign making industry here..... for temp outdoor signs with the vinyl computer cut letters
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

thanks for the replies. yes the correx/coruplast is the same stuff. I have a vinyl sign cutting machine for in-shop use, thats how I stumbled upon using it for frames.

It looks like a better price in the US!

I find it pretty economical, as it doubles up as pretty good rigid packing material for posting mounts to customers, being so light it saves a lot on postage. we do a bit online, so the postage mounts up over the year.

I tend to buy packs of cut-down/offcuts on ebay, from sign wholesalers, usually 36x24 or 36x20" sheets at £1 each (tenner a bundle) works out well under £2per square metre that way with carriage taken into account.

We also use it for backings in ready made sports shirt frames as an alternative to foamcore, as it is easy for the customer to sew to/pin through.