oversize mount(matt) cutters

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
stafford

oversize mount(matt) cutters

Post by stafford »

dear members,
can anyone advise me about an oversize mount cutter.
i currently use a fletcher 2100 but even their biggest is not big enough.
every week i am asked to mount oversize images from the likes of king mcgaw, nouvelle image and many more.
i am not prepared to use a freehand cutter as i demand of myself a very high standard, and the models i have tried are not up to this.
i am based in the uk and have contacted everyone here inc fatg and professional manufacturers.
yours
stafford
stafford

Post by Guest »

Stafford

I have sent the link for this forum to John Ranes who has his own framing in the US….he is also a consultant for “The Fletcher Terry Company”…..John spends over a 100 days a year travelling the world for Fletcher…..and is very familiar with the framing business in this part of the world…….he is in Italy this week (I think) at a framing exhibition…..I suspect he will be able to come up with a practical solution for you.

Rgs

Dermot
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Oh oh…..I need to figure out how to respond as myself or I just come up as a guest poster………right another job….to tackle…. :roll:

Rgs

Dermot

Edit by Dermot
Got it I just need to log on to the forum....... :oops:
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Although we now use a Wizard (Computerised Mount Cutter) which will handle up to 40 x 60in, for many years we cut large mounts on the floor of the shop using a little hand cutter, you know, the kind you literally hold in your hand. It is a two man operation though, you need someone to stand on the far end of the straight-edge as you make the cut, to keep it securely in place.

You would be surprised how easy it is to obtain a good, professional result with such a basic piece of equipment, provided you take a little care.

I have a couple of further questions for UK members:-

Where can I get mount board larger than 40 x 60in?

Does anyone have a decent range of colours in the large (jumbo) size?

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Stafford,

Your Fletcher F-2100, the new F-2200 and many other mount cutters (Keen Cut, Valiani, and C&H) alike are designed to accomodate traditional American "Oversized" mat board of 40x60 inches. These naturally accept the UK standard of 44 inches as well.

Most CMC's like the Wizard, and Wall mounted mat cutters like the Valiani MatPro 150 again typically accept boards up to 150cm or 60 inches.

When cutting matboard (mount board) larger than 60 inches, John McAfee's suggestion of using hand cutter may sound like a big step backwards, but it will work. :)

When we were faced with cutting oversized mats, I found one particular hand mat cutter better than most: Alto's EZ mat cutter. This hand cutter is also sould with a simple mat guide that is OPEN ENDED. This unique design allows the framer to cut a distance, then reinsert the blade and continue cutting, theoretically allowing you to cut a mat (mount) of infinite dimensions.

http://www.altosezmat.com/

Check with Lion or Wessex, as these two stockists might have it in their range.

John[/url]
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
stafford

Post by stafford »

dear members all,
thank you for your replies, i will post another reply when i am closer to a sound solution to my problem.
thanks again for taking the time and trouble to reply.
stafford
stafford