Matching mount slip & frame sight edge.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Matching mount slip & frame sight edge.

Post by Roboframer »

I like moulding ranges with matching mount slips, but my best selling mount slips are the tiny ones by Albor - sold here by Arqadia, Mainline, Euro Mouldings and Nielsen - maybe others too.

So I have started to glue these slips into hand finished mouldings, you can do this in batches before joining or make the frame, then fit the glued slip after, plonk the glass in with some more weight and leave it to go off. the slip rebate is perfect for the 'lip' of most mouldings and it's only a problem if it is too wide, not too narrow.

Photo shows Simons Ash 7, stained (Colron) Jacobean dark oak and neutral waxed with Albor antique silver slip. Mount has same slip and is artcare 'Mare Grotto' which has a nice 'rocky' sort of finish - the blue/grey version (Luna) looks just like slate.

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,
Very nice! That is a very tasty looking stain too, I'm gonna have to try some Jacobean dark oak for my self.
Cheers,
Mark
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

Post by michelle »

Hello John, this looks fantastic and I am obviously replying to a very experienced framer. You don't fancy helping a newby framer do you? Could you talk me through how to do a deep bevel slip on the inside edge of the mount ( next to the art work). I know what I want but am having trouble reaching the end result. I think my mistake has been making the slip into a frame and then cutting the mount, should it be the other way round?
looking forward to hearing from you.
Michelle
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hello Michelle and welcome,

You makes I blush you does!

Firstly I would not put the slip next to the artwork if the artwork was of any value - the artwork in this picture MAY have been, but it was glued to strawboard!

Otherwise there would have been another mount, with at least 3/8" showing underneath.

Everyone has diifferent ways of fitting slips, here's mine.

Firstly I nearly always cut the mount with a reverse bevel, so that the slips butt right up to it and there is no white bevel showing between mount and slip. SOMETIMES, with off whites and/or solid coloured boards I will do a normal bevel.

With this tiny slip I do not use double sided tape. I cut the mount then I cut the slips to fit the aperture with about 1mm of play. Fit the slips in place, top bottom left and right, the last side should be a squeesze but no force should ne necc - you can make the slip bow if too tight.

Instead of just taping the 4 sides in place, you need to make them flush, with strips of mountboard butted up to them, but not too tightly. Then run strips of tape - magic tape or filmpolast along the slips, pull them towards the flush-makng strips of mountboard and stick down. Some trial and error is req!

With larger slips I do use double sided tape, but I do not apply it to the slip, or to the cut mount. What I do is mark the cut aperture on the back of the mountboard in pencil - apply double sided tape along that mark, with most of the tape OUTSIDE the mark and cut THROUGH it. Then you have a tape RIGHT up to the edge of the cut. Proceed as above but you'll probably need foamboard to make flush. Even though stuck to the mount with double sided tape - I'll still tape across the back of the slip and the strips making flush.

Hope that all makes some sense. I can do some step by step photos if req.

Just a thought - you say you are making your slips into a frame first - how are you joining them? Most of the slips I use are purpose made for mounts and are too thin to put a nail or 'V' nail in. The slip in the photo is the thickness of a double mount - about 3mm.
michelle

Post by michelle »

Hello John
Thanks for making me welcome on the site and as for the blushing
It doesn't take much does it.
I am sorry to only just get back to you been away for a few days but now getting back into the swing of it. Your advise is great and certainly makes more sense than my method, I guess the whole thing takes practice. I must admit that I am a visual person so if pictures are possible it would be good,( if not to much trouble,) as this is my first one and I would like to experiment with smaller slips. I made mine into a frame ( big mistake ) because it was the deep rebate slip on page 53 of the Lion catalogue, because of it's size it seemed the obviouse thing to do but making the mount fit retrospectivly was a big problem. It was going directly onto the work because it is of little value and a cloth which I had mounted onto mdf. If I ever get the thing finished ( think positive, when) I will send a pictue for your expert analysis, ( are you blushing again yet?)
Thanks for you time and effort
michelle
ps is the fillet master p53 lion cat. of any use or is it another gadget in your opinion.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK MIchelle - I'll get some step by step piccies done.

As for the fillet master, I've heard nothing but good about it but I've never used it or tried it - the Morso works for me.
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

The Fillet Master is well worth the money if you cut alot of fillets, you still need to cut the fillet with your morso, it takes the measurement of your and transfers it to your morso. Cassese have 3mm. wedges and maybe that will do for most fillets. :roll:
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

I always seem to forget remember things :cry: , Check out the Terry Fletcher
site on using the Fillet Master. http://www.fletcher-terry.com/framing/f ... video.html
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well Michelle,

That video clip is pretty brilliant! Don't think you need any photos from me now, just buy a fillet master!

Thanks for that Lemon drop - I think I'll get one of those devices, I always measure and cut, erring on the side of caution, then trim a bit off - this method gets it right every time - the guy in the video didn't even need to test the slip for fit, just cut all four sides in confidence.

But hey, my method of applying ATG tape to the back and cutting through it would be great with this fillet master.
michelle

Post by michelle »

hello John and lemon drop
Thanks for the tip , it looks a good peice of kit and takes alot of the fiddiling out of it. It is good to know that it works in practice. I now just need to get on with it as I have no excuse thanks to you two.
Michelle