Massive Mouldings

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Massive Mouldings

Post by vintage frames »

Dan, HI. Take a day out and go to Tate Britain. Have a look at the frames from all the periods, 18th cent to the 50's and 60's. If you're not inspired and fired up, then take your curiosity no further. But if that does get you going, then your local library is your best bet - books on framing, gilding and wood finishing. It's all on the internet but hidden inside too much noise.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hand-finishing mouldings is very much a Dark Art. :D The basic premise is anything goes as long as it looks right and doesn't flake off.

Everyone who does it has their own ways and they are all 'right'. There are instructional books/vids on such things as staining/polishing and
gilding but that is a small part of it. The best way is to experiment. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

I wasn't attempting to prise any trade secrets from anyone....I just wondered if anyone could recommend a good book that deals with the basics of hand finishing.

Yes there are lots of books on it out there; I was merely after a recommendation or two from the forum. E.g. I bought about a dozen picture framing books (used) off Amazon & ebay, and more than half went straight down the charity shop, as they were awful.

Hey ho.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Framin ... 1853911615 has a bit in about finishing.

Worth a go for £0.01 :D

I don't mind giving out my secrets, but I'm not sure I know them myself. It's a bit like teaching someone your handwriting. :roll:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The book shown by Prosperro is written by Pete Bimgham and I would guess most of us have than book. Then there's a couple of good one by Piers and Coroline Feetham and another useful book on woodfinishing by Frederick Oughton and that's the main ones I've got.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks, Mark, that's great. :D

All the best.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Just ordered those books, Mark....thanks again.

Hand finishing sounds like a 'must' for framers: whether it's assuaging the problem of damage/defects, giving so much more stock flexibility/choice for customers, or getting more value from cheaper moulding, it feels like a no-brainer.

And as a Brucie bonus, dodgy mitres etc can be 'blended' before finishing (probably the main reason it's of interest to me :) )
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hand finishing is not automatically a must for all framers, some business have to pay really high overheads and a much faster though put to make enough money to pay the overheads. You also need the right type of customers, who are willing to pay for that sort of work, so a lot will depend upon your location as well.

Having said all that, I get quite a bit of my business by offerings things that are different than what everyone else is offering and hand finishing does enable you to offer something that's different. I never deliberately planned to get into hand finished framing and I never set out be be different at the time, it was just something I did at the time to help out the odd customer and word of mouth did much of the rest.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

One advantage of HF....

You can get customers who regularly want frames of the same style. Artist customers who exhibit like to develop a 'house style'.
If you use finished moulding then sooner or later it's going to become unobtainable. :cry:
Not your average framer

And I tell customers that if they have an accident and mark the frame, I easily refinish the frame for them and it will look like new again.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Any road up, that monster moulding this thread is about gets more amazing the more I look at it. Take a bow, prospero! :clap: :clap: :clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Flattery will get you everywhere. :P :lol: :ninja:
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

LOL. but I am genuinely scared someone would ask me to make such a beast one day. And I'm guessing it wasn't hung with D.I.T.H (or whatever it's called) :lol:

BTW, What are you doing up at 3.41am!!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Big frames are just the same as small frames but bigger. :lol:

The main problem is that you need a lot of space and they monopolise the work space while under construction. They also
are tricky to move about. You really need a helper - or arms like a gibbon. They can get very heavy.

When I had finished the Christmas monster it took at least a day to put the shop back to where it was. :?

It's fun to do a giant frame now and then, but often you get halfway though and wonder what exactly you have taken on. :roll:
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Yes, but if one butchers a mitre, I can't imagine how expensive the mistake is. Even cutting the longs first, you still have to have more moulding for the replacement long......at £!!! per foot (and/or have to make it up again - like the one in this thread).

Anyway, you're kidding no one: you're probably up at 3.41am with stress about another monster you've got on the go! :sweating:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well it's your job and you wanted it. :lol: :roll: :| :ninja:
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

As long as you're not expecting me to pay rush charges :roll:
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Post by Benhen »

That’s some sandwich, Robo. Yum-scrum.
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Post by Benhen »

Forgive me, Prospero, I mean :xcomputer:
Not your average framer

For myself it always says a lot when an older thread like this keeps coming back all these years later and still inspires a number of framers, who were not around when this thread first came along. By way of updating my earlier contributions to this thread, I would add that I now have amoungst my workshop equipment a table saw with a 10 inch diameter cicular saw blade and it did not cost too much either.

I have not used it as much as I otherwise would have, because the last ten months have been quite an upheaval with moving both shop and home premises and having had a stroke as well, but I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised with such a nice sawn finish which results from cutting relatively soft wood with hardly any obvious grain like Obeche.

If anyone is thinking about taking the plunge, perhaps some feedback from someone who has already bought one might provide some useful reassurance. I bought a Einhell TC-TS2025/1, which still has the 36 tooth blade which it was supplied with fitted, although I bought a 60 tooth blade, which is still yet to be fittred. However, the 36 tooth blades has produced such a good quality of finish to mouldings I have cut, that I have not yet got round to changing it.

I got the table saw from Machine Mart, who are currently listing the same saw for £119.98 inc vat, but it's still worth shopping around to see what else fits the bill at the best price. Table saws are something that needs to be treated with respect and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you feel that you have an aptitude for tackling stacked frames using this type of approach, this could be for you.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer