Framing a banknote - advice please

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Alzibiff

Framing a banknote - advice please

Post by Alzibiff »

Hello,
Any advice on framing a bank note - specifically a George Best fiver?
Customer wants to be able to remove from the wall and occasionally look at the reverse of the note - I am proposing to use acrylic on the rear of a glass fronted frame and use a black tape on the back rather than the normal brown stuff. Mounting advice is what I am after though. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever floated a banknote or am I best using a standard window mount?

Thank you,
Alan
osgood

Post by osgood »

One solution is to encapsulate the note between sheets of Mylar/Melinex and mat it on both sides. Frame it with glass on the back as well as the front.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

a bit late on this post, but having just done some banknotes I have a comment on the rear glazing:
generally we will use acrylic glazing on the back, mainly for two reasons:

a) its less likely to get broken on the picture hook(s), specially if it is to be taken down and admired then put back up on a regular basis (after all, thats what the clear back in in aid of lol)

b) and it is a considerable weight saving.

we often use acid free stamp hinges to fix banknotes (and sometimes collectors cards) in between front and rear mounts.