Iraq & Afgan medals

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Howard
Organisation: Creative Frames
Interests: Drag racing, music, gardening.

Iraq & Afgan medals

Post by Howard »

Dont know if this is unusual but i'm pleased with my first attempt at a deep box frame. Customer wanted the front removable so he could polish the medals if they tarnished, and could I leave a space in the middle for two more medals that were in the post. Luckily they came before I finished. Oh, and could it be free standing, have you ever felt the weight of a bayonet, they weigh a ton, managed to get him to hang it. And Mikey I know its white but thats what he wanted. (Dont know why some of the picture is missing but you get most of it.)
Attachments
Image005.jpg
Image005.jpg (253.09 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Re: Iraq & Afgan medals

Post by theframer »

Nice job how did you stick the single medal and bayonet down?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Good looking job :D I can see all of the picture, nothing missing for me. I also like the white design, it looks fresher than a dark background, but I know that might be more traditional.

Interesting about medals tarnishing which is caused by light, so I wonder if UV glass would prevent this or just slow it down?
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Tarnishing is caused by oxidation.
David McCormack

Just read up about tarnishing, so a little less in the dark about it now, which is what confused me as I thought light was a contributing factor because to prevent tarnishing one is often advised to store your silver cutlery in a dark drawer :Slap:
Oliver Hardy.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

What is that one I can see in the background? Nice job.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I think It's the KSA (King's South Africa Medal - Boer War) and if so there should be a QSA with it.

(I googled "green white orange medal ribbon") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_South_Africa_Medal 8)
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

Also really like the White - nice and fresh looking. Great Job , customer will be well pleased !
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Hi all, yes the one in the background is part of a frame i did of my great grand fathers Boer war medals, regimental badge and tunic button. Badge and button are not original. Searched many antique fairs for those. QSA has battle clasps for Belmont, Moder River, Orange Free State and Traansvaal. Shame about the reflection. Moulding is Wessex F5012 with corner brackets, Daler crimson, lots of V grooves.
Attachments
Image007.jpg
Image007.jpg (320.75 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
Howard

Post by Howard »

Bit more info about the Iraq, Afgan medals, blue and white ribbon is ISAF Medal(International Security Assistance Force). Coin next to it is UK Aviation Detachment. Medals along the bottom are General Service Medals for Air Operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and again in Iraq, last two are Queens golden and diamond jubilee medals. Customer also wanted the front removable in case he wanted to wear the medals at any time in the future. Kept the hinged pin on the back and used small frame clips to hook under the pin, and then screwed the m to the MDF backboard. Bayonet is wired in two places. Silver wire through the hole half way down the blade and black wire through a hole in the hollow handle. Hollow because the barrel of a standard issue SA80 fits through the handle. Cant see it very well but there is silver thread down the centre of the white stripes. Again used fine silver wire sewn through the ribbon and passed through small holes in the backboard. As for the coin on the right, customer suggested i stick it down with superglue or araldite. Yeah right!!!!!. I'll think of something, leave it to me. Two more pieces of brass coloured wire, made into a cross, formed the wire around the edges and trimed of the excess.
Attachments
Image006.jpg
Image006.jpg (262.93 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
David McCormack

How have you constructed the box design? The moulding looks wide but shallow, is it a cove box? Thanks :D
Oliver Hardy.
Howard

Post by Howard »

The original design was to have the rim package hinged with a piano hinge, but it looked to bulky. The rim is Wessex polcore 2" washed white with 2mm float glass, 25mm boarder of Aqadia 'minuet' mountboard, framers points hold the package together. Box is just a four sided tray 1 1/2" deep, to allow for the depth of the bayonet, lined with 'minuet' and a nice snug fit into the rebate of the moulding, which is why you have to look around the back to see the deep box. Hooks and eyes hold the two parts together. Bit basic I know but it did the job and the customer liked it.
David McCormack

Thanks for describing how you put it together, cheers :D
Oliver Hardy.