Hand finishing a discontinued moulding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hand finishing a discontinued moulding

Post by Not your average framer »

Simons are discontinuing VIC-01, the price was tempting so I bought some and here's what I did with some of it.
Simons VIC-01.jpg
Simons VIC-01.jpg (142.42 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
The short bit at the front is the normal appearance of this moulding. I did these samples of Thursday and a customer has already placed an order to be framed to match the top sample.

Sorry about the photography, which could have been better! Colours are much more soft and subtile than this picture shows.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pichousepreston
Organisation: The Picture House
Interests: Art, framing

Re: Hand finishing a discontinued moulding

Post by pichousepreston »

They look great, fab colours.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I'm glad you like them. They are very cheap and easy to do. Most of them are standard colours from the Craig and Rose 1829 match pots with a white top coat, plus a bit of distressing, a nice manky coloured wax on top and a matt acrylic sealer on top of the whole lot. There's a bit of technique to it, but once you've got the technique it's easy!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

From top to bottom the colours are as follows:

1 White over berber leather.

2 White over red + black mixed.

3 White over smalt.

4 White over lincoln green.

5 White over papyrus.

There's just a touch of berber leather and just a touch of papyrus added to the white. Those who have been on my handfinishing course will already know my solvent distressing method which keeps the colours looking fresh and reduces the time and effort that distressing normally requires. (Distressing with steel wool can dull pale colours).

The way that I do it, the finished results have that old aged appearance, which so many customers associate with class and quality.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer