A Case for Art

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

A Case for Art

Post by A3DFramer »

Last weekend on a bit of a tourist trip I visited an Art Gallery. I am particularly interested in innovative 3D work that seems to come under the mixed media heading, as I was in the catchment area of a framing business that has adopted case making tehniques;
figure on bed of nails.JPG
figure on bed of nails.JPG (82.28 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
I am particularly interested in examples, where the framing is an integral part of the piece of art, as this piece demonstrates because it contains the nails. Some styles of 'case making' have been adopted by 3D artists, which become part of the complete unit by association and style. Here the concept is dependent on the framing for its form.
Geoff

Re: A Case for Art

Post by Geoff »

Really like the whole Idea of this. The figure laying on top works extremely well and various narratives could be attributed to the completed piece. Wonder if the entire work could be encased in water white resin to prevent movement from inside? Just a thought! :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

At first glance it looks like something I'd want to put a match to - a fire grate. Would prefer it without the case anyway.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

My experience with clear cast resin leads me to suspect that the exotherm would be the problem. Especially with the amount of metal. If the nails were a one off acquisition then the risk of loss of the media by failure of the casting would be high.

I understand that this work is a collaboration between framer and artist as the case was supplied open, then sealed on completion of the work.

To create this work as a tactile piece would mean fixing the nails together, this would probably lose the random nature of the bed of nails.

I like it because it is a collaboration between framer and artist.

In the same gallery there were figures coated with acorn cups, quite interesting forms, appealing for their tactile attraction but expensive enough to make an owner want to protect them. Perhaps a job for a framer with case making skills or a display case made by the glass industry.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

At the Frame Workshop in Bath I was shown this example of a vitrine. The casing method is similar to the other example that was in the art gallery, a piece of work by a professional artist.
case_virgin_frame workshop.JPG
case_virgin_frame workshop.JPG (122.25 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
Martin Tracy told me that this 'other media' interpretation of Virgin Trains, which has had some media exposure in the past months, was the winning entry to a school arts competition, framed by The Frame Workshop and awaiting collection.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

As a slight variation, I viewed this artwork in the Top Hat Gallery in Ludlow. The artist, Duncan White, told me he makes his own cases to his own design. His framed works are collections of individually carved items, therefore the arrangements need protection, even if his modelling is robust enough to be uncased.

His actual 3D framing is quirky and each case varies in style though the method of construction is essentially the same.
regmt etrange_duncan white.JPG.JPG
regmt etrange_duncan white.JPG.JPG (90.14 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
His method is closer to the method of construction of pre-1060's display counters as Strokebloke suggested by a post in the topic 'Golf Glove Vitrine'. This was an interesting observation as the popular line of development has been linear from old to new technology without retaining elements of the old, whereas the development of picture framing has embraced old and new.

The display counter method (pre 1940) holds the glass by pinching the glass between the main carcase (outer) and an inner strip of wood, I use the term 'backstrap' for this and Duncan White has used backstraps held by tiny brass screws as his method of retaining the glass.

Some 3D framing is a matter of putting an object into a case for protection, sometimes the framing is part of the integrity of the artwork. I would be interested if other framers recognize this.