Framed - GWR Tender Loco.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Framed - GWR Tender Loco.

Post by A3DFramer »

cased tender loco.jpg
cased tender loco.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
This model locomotive was framed by Collectors Cases and is currently in the enquiries office of Shrewsbury Rail Station. The client was the then Regional Manager for British Rail and I remember following up his original enquiry to make a case for this model. I took the photo last August and reflecting on the time that has passed checked some dates, privatization started in 1984 and this bought to an end a good customer relationship that promised to bring many more commissions like this. So this piece of framing will be enjoying its 30th anniversary this year.

I remember trying to get the moulding manufacturers at that time to come up with a consistent angle that could be matched to other framing for both picture frame cases as well as free standing cases, they did not oblige, and this case is probably one of the last that we hand finished. Mason's of Nottingham ran 10,000m runs of mouldings for us, which we would then get finished independently at a finishers.

A few years ago I thought that it would be interesting to see if the established framing support industry would take an interest in recording tried and tested methods and techniques related to 3D framing. Of the many put downs I received, one brings a wry smile to my face when I think back on it. A spokesman for a long established and I think quite well known framing school told me that glass cases have no part to play in framing as plastic has better UV protection qualities.

I have a chuckle to myself over this when I pass through the station using my Senior citizens pass to the rail network, the regional BR manager came to me because he wanted a 'glass' case not perspex as he thought that they would become to look tacky.As I go by I have a good look to see if the paint work is fading. Had I been privy to this framing wisdom back in the late 1970's I might not have invested my redundancy money in a business that supported my family and gave me a lot of fun for 30yrs or so.
Roboframer

Re: Framed - GWR Tender Loco.

Post by Roboframer »

Chuffed :D
Graysalchemy

Re: Framed - GWR Tender Loco.

Post by Graysalchemy »

What a great piece. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I dread looking at any of my work which is on public display (pubs :giggle: :giggle: ) though I do regularly see work I did nearly 10 yrs ago in a bar glazed with styrene and it is still as fresh today as it was when I installed them, mind you the bar owner takes care of his establishment and they are well looked after.