Non-conservation MBE cert.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Non-conservation MBE cert.

Post by Roboframer »

This looks quite nice I think - trouble is the medal pin and a melinex strap holding the bottom 'spike' in place, passes through the certificate!

Customer's informed choice.
MBE 001.JPG
MBE 001.JPG (280.41 KiB) Viewed 12076 times
MBE 003.JPG
MBE 003.JPG (197.23 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
stcstc

Re: Non-conservation MBE cert.

Post by stcstc »

whats the white thing near the bottom?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just a bit of mount board to cover the name - shows the (True Color) glass off well though dunnit!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yea really does

is the frame LJ gramery?
prospero

Post by prospero »

I always wondered why they leave that big space on the left. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Looks good Robo, I've actually got a certificate in to frame with the MBE to follow. They were to go in separate frames so I've sent a pic of yours as I think that's a great suggestion.
Can you talk me through the setup?
Is there a spacer between the mount and the certificate?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No, there's a spacer between the glass and the mount.

I wouldn't recommend this because the medal is fixed to the cert and not just mount board and there's no way to do that without damaging the cert. This was done at the customer's insistence.

A better idea would be to make the mount much wider at the bottom and fix the medal to that.

But anyway, on the under mount there's a small aperture cut on the CMC and a small hole made with an awl - they were marked in pencil on the back of the cert and cut out and then the pin was passed through and a piece of mount boaard passed through that and taped in place and then a melinex strap at the bottom, secured as shown with DS tape and magic tape.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Conservation or not it looks vey good, and I'm sure your customer is over the moon.

I probably would have refused to cut the certificate, looking at what you have done I think that refusing would be the wrong decision, nice job, happy customer.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I really like the way that looks and I hate to ask but what sort of mount is that - it looks thick with a silver trim??? Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I keep seeing so many great things and have no idea what the proper name for most things are (yet) :oops:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Great, appreciate the reply.

That just fits in around the mount edge? Still beveled edge on the mount? Do I need a particular thickness of mountboard? Lot of questions I know :oops:

Really am greatful for the regular assistance guys
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yes the mount is bevelled - reverse bevels are best with slips IMHO, so that the colour goes all the way up to the slip, but there are one or two weirdos that like a normal bevel.

Normal thickness board is fine but you have to make the slip flush at the back, this one can be made flush with normal mount board but most others would take 3 or 5mm, which could be done with foam board or built-up strips of mount board.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Or if you are a certain national photographer, that I will venture to not name, just tapes it in and leaves it at that, theirs really needs 5 mm spacers. you would think when charging 1k + for a single picture it would be done right.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Once again guys - thanks for the help :D
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Here's my full conservation spec mbe + cert :tongueout: The tails on this one are far bigger than yours so although we'd decided to copy your one, it didn't fit! So we went for this layout.
Comments welcome
Attachments
05.jpg
05.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Looks great; that's what I wanted to do.

I put mine in this section because I thought it was BAD!

How did you mount everything, is there a deep bevel around the medal or is it shadows and what glass did you use?
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Cheers - I still prefer the other layout, think it looks neater, but this one works well especially with the bigger tails on the medal.
It's a single mount, normal depth bevel, just with shadow on the bottom aperture.
10mm foamboard spacer between the undermount and the window mount, and medal is pinned through mountboard although allowed to swing freely :o
Behind the certificate, there is foamboard to pad out the back to make everything level.
Glass is clear colour glass, anti-reflective, UV resistant.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Hi Robo/John - not sure what exactly to call you :? :)

I'm going to copy your layout at the weekend - what did you use as a spacer between the glass and the mount?

Cheers - hope mine looks as neat btw
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Black 5mm foam board - you can always add a strip of the backing mount colour if you like too.
Robo/John - either's fine :-)