architectural frame with decoration

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Geoff

architectural frame with decoration

Post by Geoff »

This frame was built over a half lap wooden base. The simple column requested is made from a single turning, cut in half which was later water gilt and highly burnished. The decorations themselves I cast initially from original composition which were again later water gilt and highly burnished. A slightly blue/black base was applied before any decoration was added and the whole frame was bought together using an off white/grey clay. No distressing was requested. Made to house an old mirror
Attachments
architectural frame with decoration.jpg
architectural frame with decoration.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Re: architectural frame with decoration

Post by A3DFramer »

An impressive piece of work, Geoff, you do not mention the dimensions, I rather suspect that they may be impressive as well.

Interesting that you are casting your own decorative items from, presumably salvaged items. Are you using silicone rubber moulding compounds?

I love the colours.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thank you for your comments! Yes I use silicon rubber for taking most of my impressions. I have used other materials for this but, in my view, silicon is by far the best. For the mouldings themselves, in this case I used Alpha-Plaster which is readily available, strong and captures fine detail very well. Usually, these are given a very light spray of gesso and onto the finishing.

The mirror was a little under 30" X 20" so not large compared to some I have made.

A belated happy new year to everyone on the forum.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

Silicone rubber is the most amazing moulding compound, it can pick up detail that the eye cannot see, I once found a fingerprint on a piece of casting resin from a replica that I had moulded from a metal object. In another occasion I was making a mould of a wax seal directly of paper and found the impression of engraving from the paper.

For this reason I down graded some large metal moulding to Polyurethane rubbers.

Did a lot of restoration work with alginates, I was lucky to have a good relationship with a Dental wholesaler, who would let me have 'past sell by date' products, that the labs could not use. This way I found a silicone impression making putty that was great for getting small pieces of detail off conservation sensitive work.

I am wondering if you use paste on formulations, or pour on?

I found vinamould/hot melt rubbers very tricky, but usable. It is curious that this form of mould making is so popular, but it is useful for making quick shapes for one offs or short runs.

Vacuum is the real answer silicone moulding, becomes very versatile.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Silicone and silicone putty are two products I use often. I have many plaster copies of some extremely detailed decorative items used with the above. Yes I have used aginates as well but products such as vinamold in all colours of hardness are in my view for "one off" quick applications and perform an average job.

When using silicone rubber after making sure what I intend to copy is completely sound, I might brush a very thin coat of vaseline over the object depending on what it is made of, though not always. The rubber, when mixed,is then poured slowly into the mould, lightly vibrated and left overnight at least to harden. I can't recall having a problem with it and as you mention, the detail it captures is amazing. I have some silicone moulds which I still use now and again, that are at least twenty years old.