iPad apps

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

iPad apps

Post by baughen »

If you have an iPad you may be interested in a couple of apps.
I've just written a review for 'Frame Builder' but don't know whether it has been accepted. The website is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frame-b ... 71584?mt=8 . It allows for a quick visualisation of your artwork with mountboards and moulding - the sort of thing you can show customers and change to meet their needs. For £1.38 (currently), this includes the measurement tool, what have you to lose?

The other product I came across was from Frame On. The app is free but it requires Filemaker v11 which costs about £28. There is a free Filemaker v12 but the author has not converted his app to be compatible. So at the moment this app doesn't appear to be going anywhere (IMO).
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: iPad apps

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've been tinkering with frame builder for a little while now and have added the measurement tool. It still has some way to go, in particular the choice of moulding and mount boards. I've emailed the developers with some suggestions but didn't hear anything back.
I'm hoping they add away of adding your own mouldings and a better colour picker for the mount boards. At the moment you can design something nice looking but have no indication of board colour apart from what you can see.

I'm keeping an eye on it but a, looking forward to the new Gunnar software and its visualisation tools.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
markw

Post by markw »

What a good posting - must download that app.
It might be worth looking at other apps that are useful in our trade. A couple that I use all the time are Scanner pro and Printer pro. Scanning frame backs when customers dont want to lose the information on the frame back when reframing - or the back of artwork - is really useful. Printing the scan straight from the device is also a real timesaver.

Just need to get an Estlite app.
baughen

Post by baughen »

Alan,
In correspondence with the Frame Builder support they included "I'm working currently on a new in-app to offer the possibility to add custom
mouldings from photo.". So it sounds as though they did take your suggestion on board.

Cliff
FrameOn
Organisation: Frame On
Interests: Mountain Biking, picture framing & digital prints, photography

Post by FrameOn »

baughen wrote: The other product I came across was from Frame On. The app is free but it requires Filemaker v11 which costs about £28. There is a free Filemaker v12 but the author has not converted his app to be compatible. So at the moment this app doesn't appear to be going anywhere (IMO).
I have now updated this to run on v12. Check the members only section

Richard
baughen

Post by baughen »

Richard,
Thanks for doing this; very much appreciated. I will try it out in the next week.

Cliff