FrameVue - Lifesaver - CMC is this a good setup

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Martin L
Organisation: The Gallery
Interests: Sailing, Hiking, Cycling, Snowboarding, Camping

FrameVue - Lifesaver - CMC is this a good setup

Post by Martin L »

We are looking to update to visualisation and the a C.M.C in the near future. We have been using Frameman for the last 20 years, but thought the above set up would create a more streamlined setup. Lifesaver seams to link only with the Valiani c.m.c ?
Wizard do not supply p.o.s. software in the U.K. only visualisation software for some reason.
I don't know if i am right on all these points but any help, advice would be welcome.

Thanks Martin
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Re: FrameVue - Lifesaver - CMC is this a good setup

Post by grahamdown »

Hi Martin,

I believe Gunnar are trialling visualisation software at the moment which will be part of their software suite.

Rewgards,

Graham
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

Thanks Graham, will keep a eye out for that.
Martin
markw

Post by markw »

Not sure that Lifesaver is a great choice - its very USA centric and needs considerable work to make it UK market friendly. Ive also not seen any signs of a working demo of the Valiani link although there are signs in the software that it exists.
I wonder about accuracy and workflow with visualisation cmc linked software. Accuracy probably isnt a huge issue with good calibration, but I would want some reassurance that calibration was consistent.
I am not sure how you envisage using such a linked software. At present to the best of my knowledge most of the visualisation packages out there link to a POS pricing software. Presumably the mount cutting instructions would be generated by that element of the package. If you can't get the package you're looking for - and its presumably not far away, then its not a great hassle to get your POS software to deliver cutting specs that you key in - I somehow doubt however good a linked system is that you will save a massive amount of time by using it. I am sure others will suggest other systems but having used Preview and Estlite Pro I can say that this combination works well under the right conditions - well lit design desk being the main factor ( My shop is an old medieval pub - very low ceilings - old beams etc - I just couldn't get the right lighting to get the results that I wanted). Accuracy of measurement was good and the visualisation software linked reliably to the estimating software.

Would love to see a working demo of a cmc linked system if it exists outside development.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

re the gunnar thing

the visualisation stuff is there, its in the current version

i dont use it much, but one things is very good for is importing file of multiple photos to go in one frame, and laying out the mount

i like mark have est and preview, although dont use preview much, as my business is not a shop front retail type business

i would also think that pipeline type software wouldnt work that well in most framers, and i dont see the major gain really

i think by far the best approach is to have a solid workflow, it will save you lots of time
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I disagree with most of the above, we use visualisation on almost every order, the sizes are 100% accurate even down to putting a slight overlap on the image, it greatly annoys me to have to design the mount twice especially on complex mounts, it would be a massive help if we could export directly to a pre designated mount cutting folder on our network.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

I think that the law of diminishing returns comes into play once the time between the object being set on the counter and the first visualisation appearing on screen exceeds about thirty seconds or so.

Also, regardless of how super accurate a properly calibrated visualisation application is, I’m not convinced that the ability to design a complex production-ready job at the point of sale is necessarily desirable. Time is much better spent with the customer wowing them with the possibilities than faffing about with the details and fretting about getting everything correct right down to the last mm.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Again I disagree, the software I use creates very fast visuals and has the added bonus of pricing instantly as it goes, digital images are fully visualised well within 30 seconds, whole folders of images can be loaded into the gallery at the same time and the visual done with the point of a mouse instantly and it's as easy to change the frame, ones that are not digital the overhead camera gets quickly, more importantly customer feed back is very good and profits have risen substantially since we have implemented this system.

My only criticism of the software is it doesn't produce a cut file, just a printed ticket with the mount dimetions which we copy into the valiani software.

Second bonus it saves the customers gallery of frames they have had so it's even quicker next time.
markw

Post by markw »

IFGL - what program do you use?
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

[quote="JohnMcafee"]

I Agree you cant nit pick every little detail. Other wise you'll be there all day messing about with one order
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

Thanks for the response.
At the moment i am evaluating the Lifesaver and frameVue software, it does seem pretty straight forward with some really good features that would save time and increase the profit margins. It also brings some fun into picking mouldings and mounts which i know many of our customers will love.

What pos software do you use "IFGL" with the Valiani.

Martin
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

What about EstLite and Pre-View has anyone anything to say about that combination.

Martin
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

errrr

u not read the thread

2 people have mentioned it above, including me
markw

Post by markw »

and me
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

The Canadian software, custom framer art, a massive pain in the arse to set up, but well worth it.
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

Sorry "stcstc and markw"

Yes i have read the comments you made on estlite, what i should have said was anyone else got any information, as initially i was only asking about lifesaver.
Sorry i'm new to the forum so hope i'm not upsetting people already.

Martin
markw

Post by markw »

always a tendency on any forum to take the micky - but nicely as per forum rules
Kwik Picture Framing

So which setup are you going for?
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

Dont know yet still looking.
Ordered a new PC running windows 8, as the old one is causing us lots of problems, so will be making sure all works fine on that first.
Kwik Picture Framing

Yeah start step by step, then you will know which good for you